Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a splashback over tiles?

armando
Finding My Feet

How to install a splashback over tiles?

Hello,

is it possible to install a splashback over existing kitchen tiles?  I am looking for a cheap solution to cover up our unsightly tiles from the 1970s.  

Thank you.  

A

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a splashback over tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @armando. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a splashback over tiles.

Yes, installing a splashback over existing kitchen tiles is possible if you prepare the tiles properly. You can tile over the existing tiles if you first coat them with Davco Ultrabond. Or, you might like to consider our extensive range of glass and polymer splashbacks if you don't want to go to the effort of tiling. In order to adhere the splashback to tiles, you'll use a neutral-cure silicone. Abrading the surface of the tile will help with adhesion.

You could consider using a plain aluminium or steel sheet for a more budget-friendly option.

If you're installing this splashback behind a cooktop, you'll need to ensure that the product you use is non-combustible and adheres to regulations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to install a splashback over tiles?

Mitchell,

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects