Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make coasters that wont leave a puddle of water?

manskersmaking
Finding My Feet

How to make coasters that wont leave a puddle of water?

Okay I’m starting to make coasters and I’m researching materials and comparing acrylic, ceramic and resin art ceramic. But my question is which is the best for not leaving water setting on coaster? & if I used sealer or varnish will that affect the absorption? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: making coasters that wont leave a puddle of water

Hi @manskersmaking,

Typically, ceramic coasters are sealed to prevent water from being soaked into them. This is commonly done to prevent staining of the ceramic with darker-coloured drinks. Inately, a sealed coaster will leave water sitting on its surface; it is better there than your coffee table. Applying a sealer/varnish, which blocks the ceramic pores, will prevent water from entering the surface. The moisture/condensation needs to go somewhere, so it's either on top or in your coaster; you'll just need to determine if the water being absorbed into the coaster will damage it.

Perhaps you might like to tell our helpful members a bit more about the materials you have been researching and provide some images of them. They'd then have a better idea of what you'll be working with and able to offer helpful suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects