Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint cupboard and benchtop?

jarrahlo
Just Starting Out

How to paint cupboard and benchtop?

Hi all,

I had 2 quick questions. I have been seeing some amazing makeovers and wanted to try it out.

My benchtops are timber and vinyl, will a benchtop kit work on this or will I need to use 2 different products?

Also one of my drawers has a chip, can I just paint over this or will I need to do more to prep it? 

Thank you

Photos below 

processed-aed240b3-84f3-435a-80c3-1ebdfa7be42f_DP6rBSlT.jpegprocessed-7c847b17-9193-4116-b95d-462fb1e20e85_9Hl70Dbt.jpegprocessed-7f8d27ca-20ae-4194-9623-0ac35e071f2e_kCcwQtax.jpegCapture.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint cupboard and benchtop

Hello @jarrahlo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your cupboard and benchtop.

It's great to hear that you've been inspired by the amazing paint makeover projects our members have shared. Both Dulux and White Knight have paint primers in their paint system, but I've not seen it used on wood. I'll have to check with our providers to find out if the primer can go over wood and provide the same longevity. 

The cleaning and preparation work though is exactly the same. I suggest looking at UNi-PRO 500g Multi-Purpose Interior Filler to fix the chip on your cabinet door. As soon as I have more information, I'll post it here.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint cupboard and benchtop?

Hi @jarrahlo,

You can use the White knight system for your project. Sand back the deteriorated coating on the edging to bare timber. Apply an oil-based primer to the timber edging, and then apply White Knight tile and laminate paint over the benchtop and primed timber trim. You'll then need to apply White Knight 1L Clear Bench Top Protective Coating over the entire top. No primer is required on the benchtop, just follow the preparation steps on the can.

There will likely be a visible transition line between the benchtop and edging. This is due to the thickness of the primer you'll be applying to the timber trim. To minimise this transition, only apply enough primer to coat the timber and try to avoid thick brush strokes.

You can also apply the oil-based primer to your handles and paint them with laminate paint. I'd suggest removing the handles and painting them separately to the doors. If you don't, you'll rip the paint off the drawer fronts if you ever try to remove them.

To add to @EricL's advice on repairing the chip, you might find it easier to remove what's left of the laminate edging and replace it with some new 21mm x 10m Melamine Edging White. You can heat the existing edging by covering it with a cloth and running your iron over it on a low setting. This softens the glue and will allow you to scrape the edging off with a chisel. The new edging is ironed on and trimmed to size with a chisel. This could be easier than going through the whole filler and sanding process. I understand that you'll be painting over it anyway, but I feel you'll likely get a better finish from the new edging.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects