Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint over old silicone residue?

jn119
Just Starting Out

How to paint over old silicone residue?

IMG_6201.jpeg

We have started to paint our kitchen splashback using the Dulux Renovator Range. We followed the prep steps but unfortunately it appears we didn’t get rid of all of the old silicone residue - the previous silicone had been there for decades so the paint just isn’t cutting through. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can make this less noticeable? I’ve read that painting over silicone is near impossible so looking at other suggestions! 

IMG_6203.png

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint not sticking to old silicone residue

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had an issue applying the tile paint, @jn119.

Sometimes, it's really hard to see smeared silicone on the surface of a tile. It's best to use a silicone remover and a bladed scraper to remove the silicone from the area. The area then needs to be braided with 400-grit sandpaper.

At this stage, I think it would be best to sand the paint back off those tiles with 180/240-grit sandpaper and then remove the silicone before starting again. You could try to sand just the affected areas back and remove the silicone contaminants, but by the time you do, sanding the tiles back might be easier and more consistent.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects