Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare a surface for tiling?

Bfamily8
Finding My Feet

How to prepare a surface for tiling?

preparing a surface for tiling - kitchen backsplash

17049489296297277932471466926501.jpg

17049489688153514306305779676043.jpg

  

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to prepare a surface for tiling?

Hi @Bfamily8 

As long as all those those  surfaces are close to flush to each (I cant see the depth of  each of them ) other and can support a  tile  your  ready to go with a good glue.  The wall gaps are  nothing to a  tile/.

That  brown material looks a little flaky? loose paper  and such and not good for long tile habitation so just look at that and  judge it in your own opinion as your your the job  boss

There are depth issues. Up to 4mm difference in the joins. That's too high, right? Can mud fix that up?

Hi  @Bfamily8 

Filler or mud may help if you want that step to give more even tile job.  Those un even sheets maybe unscrewed and packers 4mm sliped under them to pop them out, level.  But I  suspect they are screwed and glue.

4mm  gap is not the end of the world . maybe use a  larger notched trowel  8mm to 10mm  when going over the extra  4mm gap, adding more glue to fill the space as you go.?,

Yeah, they are glued so I can't pop them out.

But I was thinking using a filler to smooth the steps out. Should I tape and mud them or will the filler be enough? You're right, the tile adhesive will help too.

Hi @Bfamily8 

You can  fill them if you want   by all means  it will make the tiling easier

Have you  ever heard of  tile  leveling kits  , wedges and the likes.  Basically they will hold the flats of the tiles level and  stops them tilting out of place

Bunning  sells em it  and it will help you travers an un even background with out filling. Tile  like a  pro,

https://www.google.com/search?q=dta+tile+leveling&oq=dta++tile+leveling&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUY...

DTA Australia 1.5mm Wedge Levelling Spacers - 250 Pack

I/N: 0075821

$48.20

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dta-australia-1-5mm-wedge-levelling-spacers-250-pack_p0075821

DTA Australia Lippage Wedges - 100 Pack

I/N: 0075822

$29.10

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dta-australia-lippage-wedges-100-pack_p0075822

So you think the adhesive will be enough to traverse these bumps?! Good news! Should I just read the instructions on the tile adhesive for thickness recommendations? Tiles are little, 15cm square.

I will look into those tiling things you mentioned. Sounds exactly what I need!

hi @Bfamily8 

Using  an 8mm notched trowel  and the lipage  system  you can traverse the 4mm gap ok tile  pk  wont tell you that lol  as they assuming you tile area is dead flat.

But as  ageneral  rule  smaller the tile the less glue like mosaics around 4mm. large format tiles 600mm x600mm  10mm to 12mm notch.

But a rougher  finish like raw concrete i go a bit thicker as to  cross the uneveness  like you wall. 

Any how do invest in the lipage it costs $80 but you will love your tiles.  and be  using them  every where soon lol

Nearly forgot

DTA Australia Wedge Levelling Tool

$49.15

Ok  signing off  now have a  great day.

Thanks so much!

Beyond helpful!!

Enjoy your day.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bfamily8. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tiling.

Great to see the helpful advice @Jewelleryrescue has provided. It's always easiest to work with a perfectly flat wall. However, by applying slightly more adhesive in the lower areas you'll be able to accommodate for the discrepancy. Depending on where the edges of the tiles fall, you might find they jump these areas and span across them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects