Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect a raw chipboard panel?

Vinnierose1
Finding My Feet

How to protect a raw chipboard panel?

I got a dishwasher installed and I need to protect the raw chipboard from the steam so it doesn’t get damaged (well I’m guessing I need to do this?) 

I quickly bought timber protect but I’m wondering if this is the best thing to use to waterproof the chipboard, how long the fumes would last (kids in house), if I need to waterproof all the raw chipboard under kitchen cabinet and if there is an alternative? Thanks 

first photo is underside of bench right near dishwasher. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: protecting raw chip board what to use?

Hello @Vinnierose1 

Thanks for sharing your question about protecting your raw chipboard panel. That is excellent forward thinking of you, I suggest using the Crommelin 1L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat or the Zinsser 1L CoverStain Primer Sealer Stain Blocker. These primers have very strong moisture blockers that should protect your panels even if exposed to the moisture generated by the dishwasher.

I recommend a minimum of at least three coats for maximum protection.

If the can of Timber Protect has not been opened, I recommend bringing it back to the store for an exchange.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects