Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-silicone around stove top?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

How to re-silicone around stove top?

I am looking at replacing the silicone around my stove top. 

I suspect the builders did not use a silicone that is rated for heat as the silicone originally was quite prominent but over time has disintegrated. Also when cleaning around it, it becomes sticky and dislodges. 

I have purchased a kitchen/bathroom silicone that it rated for high temperatures to replace it but am unsure of the process of removing the old stuff. 

Any advice would be appreciated. This would be my first go at using silicone on this type of surface. 

20240213_064550.jpg

20240213_064524.jpg

20240213_064615.jpg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: How to re-silicone around stove top?

Hi Amy,

You could use one of these Monarch Caulk Sealant Remover to remove the old silicone. If some of it is more stubborn a sharp Stanley knife can also be helpful, just make sure to wear your safety gloves.

When you’re reapplying the silicone, make sure that the nozzle is cut so the bead is wide enough to touch both sides of the gap you’re covering, otherwise it can fall straight through.

Once you’ve applied the bead of silicone, it’s good to spray the bead with some soapy water as this helps with the removal of the excess. Then you can use a Silicone Scraper Set to strike off the excess. Just make sure to have plenty of paper towels ready as silicone can get messy if you’re not prepared. 

Good luck!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amySA,

It's great to see one of the new members, @JacobZ95, jump straight in and assist with your question. They've provided some great advice, and there's not much more I could add to that. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JacobZ95. Having such an experienced person as yourself join our ranks is sensational. 

We can't wait to hear about all the projects you have going on around your home and garden. You undoubtedly have plenty of experience to share with our members, and I'm sure you'll become a valuable asset to the community as you've already shown yourself to be extremely knowledgeable.

Many thanks for jumping straight in and assisting other members. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects