Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a Shaw and Mason kitchen mixer tap?

joefire
Finding My Feet

How to remove a Shaw and Mason kitchen mixer tap?

I have a Shaw and Mason Wels 5 star kitchen mixer which is leaking from the top of the main body.

I have removed the grub screw with an allen key but i still can't take it apart to get at the bits on the inside.

Any tips please? One video i looked at on youtube shows the handle part should now easily lift off, but i can't budge it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shaw and Mason hitchen mixer tap leak.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @joefire. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about disassembling a mixer tap.

Typically once the grub screw is removed, the handle should pull straight upwards. If this is an older tap, there might be some build-up that is helping resist your attempts to remove the handle. Try going full lock side to side and front to back with the handle. This might help work the handle off. If that fails, you can try inserting a flat head screw between the tap handle and the body and gently levering upwards on the handle. I'd recommend using a cloth to protect both the handle and body from scratches. 

In some cases, the handle might easily lift off, but generally, due to their press fit, it takes some force.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell,

Thanks mate, i literally didn't want to break anything. After your advice i yanked and yanked and it finally popped off.

Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sometimes they can be a bit stubborn @joefire. Nice one, mate! 

Let us know if it's unclear where the leak is coming from. I'd suggest it's likely the large or small O rings on the bottom of the cartridge. It might be easiest to swap the whole cartridge over. Make sure to take your ine into a store so the team can help you match it up.

Mitchell

Thanks for the adive.

My next drama is i'm turning the the giant nut, but the whole outside silver bit is turning with it, i'm presuming i should somehow clamp the outside bit.362628908_117263224770258_151344790036205888_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Is the outside silver bit connected to the spout, and as the spout turning as well, @joefire? If so, grip the spout with your other hand and keep it stationary whilst you undo the nut or place something in the sink that inhibits the spout from turning. If this is an independent sleeve above the spout then you'd likely need to grip it with something, and a pipe strap wrench is likely the best tool in order not to cause damage to the chrome plating.

Mitchell

Yes, definitely seperate as the spout bit moves and the top sleeve stays put generally. Yep, been trying to grab it with a tupperware can opener, but it aint grippy enough. To my shed to see what i have, but i definitely don't have a pipe strap wrench. 

Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you use any tool with teeth, make sure to wrap a dozen or so revolutions of tape around the sleeve and use a cloth to protect the chrome plating.

Mitchell

Mitchell,

Thanks again for your help. I have my tap sorted with no leaks.

Joe

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @joefire 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will be happy to hear that your kitchen tap is repaired. 

If you have any other projects or repairs lined up, please don't hesitate to post a question if you need more information or assistance.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects