Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove adhesive from kitchen cupboard doors?

chloepatto
Just Starting Out

How to remove adhesive from kitchen cupboard doors?

I have decided to remove the thermofoil from my kitchen cupboard doors, which I did with a heat gun. The material underneath is mdf
I sanded and thought that I removed all of the adhesive, so I went ahead and undercoated them to then find once dried that the undercoat did not stick at all. 

Does anyone have any thoughts and suggestions on which product I can use to easily remove the left over adhesive? 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove adhesive from kitchen cupboard doors?

Hello @chloepatto 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Thermofoil doors or vacuum laminated doors are sprayed with a very strong adhesive and a vacuum machine sucks the laminate literally on to the board. This vacuum process causes the adhesive to travel in to the MDF. The other method is machine pressed laminate and it produces the same effect. I would recommend using a glue remover but it would damage the MDF. Instead I recommend doing a heavy sand of the surface to create a very rough surface for the undercoat to hold on to. I suggest using Dulux precision primer sealer binder. This should give you superior holding power and will work for your doors. I would love to see some pictures if you can post them so that we can have a better idea of your project. If you have any other questions or anything else we can help with please post it here on workshop. 

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove adhesive from kitchen cupboard doors?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chloepatto. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on adhesive removers.

It looks like @redracer01 has just beaten me to a response. Instead of repeating everything he's said, I'll just second it. The adhesive is more likely in the MDF than on top of it, and no amount of adhesive remover will budge it.

He's also recommended Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White as I would have. I've been using it lately on various surfaces that normal undercoats have issues adhering to, and it has been fantastic.

I'd be keen to see those pictures too.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects