Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove mixer tap arm?

twilight79
Finding My Feet

How to remove mixer tap arm?

Hi All,

Hoping for some wisdom and expertise in getting this mixer arm/lever loosened and unscrewed/removed so I can change the washer.

I tried wd 40 and also a rubber hand mat to get a grip on the thin lever arm and unscrew counter clockwise but no luck.

It is not held down by a grub either. 

Any tips would help. I tried using a rachet but it scratches and still won't grip.

Thanks in advance.

20240411_084115.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove mixer tap arm?

Hello @twilight79 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your mixer tap.

Since you've tried the basics, I suggest using a Trojan 250mm Locking Pliers. This will clamp onto the handle and prevent it from spinning in its grasp. Make sure to turn anti-clockwise to loosen the pin handle. 

Still slipping? Wrap the handle in rubber bands and use the locking pliers to grip onto it. Please note that the locking pliers will probably scratch the finish of the handle.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twilight79
Finding My Feet

Hey Eric,

Thank you for your prompt response :smile:

I like your thinking. I will pick-up one of those locking pliers tomorrow, they look like an all rounder tool to have around the home for future use aswell 

When you say to hold the pliers over the handle do you mean the pliers are used to hold the round cylinder so that does not move? The arm/lever feels very tight so not sure if I hold the cylinder it will still be hard to turn into clockwise. See the image I attached. Is that the handle? Arrow in yellow.

I'll give you an update Saturday to let you know if we had any luck. Much appreciated again and I'll follow your tips.

Have a lovely night20240411_084115.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @twilight79 

My apologies, I should have said to clamp the pin lever itself.  The one where you've placed a blue arrow. The thin handle must come off first before you can get access to the grub screw that is inside the handle body (yellow arrow). I hope that clears that up.

Please note to turn anti clockwise when turning the pin lever (blue arrow).

Eric

Thanks Eric

Gotchya. Since I'll be off to the man shop tomorrow do you recommend any particular washer for this tap? If I buy this kit do you think there should be a suitable size washer within?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-assorted-washer-kit_p4920394

I'll pick up the pliers and was thinking of getting this washer kit. Thoughts?

Thanks again mate. I greatly appreciate your wisdom. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @twilight79 

That mixer actually uses a ceramic mixer cartridge. Once you've taken the old one out, make sure to bring it to the store so that you can compare it for size and shape.  

Eric

Brilliant

Thanks Eric. Would never have known that. Thank you for your knowledge.

Will do so.

Have a wonderful night and update you soon.

Cheers

twilight79
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric

Task completed. Thank you so very much for the insights and guidance. Wouldn't be able to do it without your help.

All up it took 5 minutes to disassemble and reassemble.

Picture of tools used. Thanks

The lever/handle/pin showed plenty of resistance but gave in finally...Screenshot_20240419_164114_Gallery.jpg

The ceramic flat cartridge 35mm was a perfect fit. IMG-20240411-WA0031.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @twilight79 

Thank you very much for the update and it's good to hear that you got your tapware working again.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects