Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove old kitchen tap?

anniej
Getting Established

How to remove old kitchen tap?

Having trouble holding this clip in place to unscrew the tap fitting above. Photo is of under sink. Not enough room to get a small shifter in and hold it firmly. Also, am I on the right track here? 

Any clues how to do this please? 

IMG_4761.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove old kitchen tap?

Hello @anniej,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing your D.I.Y. projects around your home and garden.

Apologies for the delay in responding to your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later today and will be happy to assist. Let me also tag our ever-helpful members @Noyade@Dave-1@JDE and @LePallet to see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @anniej 

It looks like it needs a tube spanner of some type. Coudl you show us a photo of the top side of the tap as well? If we can see the model of tap then my suggestion would be see if Bunnings sells a similar style and then have a look to see how it goes together. Sometimes taps are just pain in the necks 😕

I would hold off on trying to undo until we can figure out what the model is and taht flows into what the next step is. I just dont want you to Burr the thread (and yeah id be in there with a pair of multigrips to try and undo it lol) 

A warm welcome your way for joining the Bunnings Community :smile: Ther are a lot of similar questions to yours and a lot of knowledge to solve it in here :smile:

Dave

anniej
Getting Established

image.jpg

Thanks Akanksha and Dave, I persisted and with some help from hubby (brute strength! ) :smile: we got it out. New tap installed. Thank you for the help. 
annie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks for letting us know @anniej.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: @anniej Nice work! 

Brute strength is why I have a hammer in my tool box :smile:

Next time I am in Bunnings I think I will see if I can see the same model as I would like to know how to myself :smile:

(The tap is the same as mine and atm its loose lol Now that is freaky)

Dave

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @anniej glad to hear of your success, I would have suggested a beefy pair of slip lock pliers as they are pretty versatile, out of curiosity what did you end up using in combination with Hubby's brute strength? 

anniej
Getting Established

IMG_4765.jpeg

 This is the tap removed. It needed two people really to remove it. I held the shifter on the part that was above the sink while hubby got under and wound the brass fitting off the threaded cylinder. 
Dave you may just have to remove the blue cover and tighten the brass ring.

Is this a standard fitting for a tap? The new one didn’t need this fitting.

annie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects