Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rust from drying rack?

alyciamacqueen1
Finding My Feet

How to remove rust from drying rack?

IMG_20240121_191122_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240121_191654_HDR.jpg

 hello !

Could you please help me find a product to remove the rust from my drying rack for dishes. The paint is flaking off. 

I'm not sure if it needs to be replaced but the rust can definitely be removed. 

After the rust is removed what products do you recommend to prevent rust in the future . 

I really hope you can help !!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to remove rust from drying rack

Hi @alyciamacqueen1 

Iwould   use your steel pot scrubber to  clean the rust off so metal is  bright again, and the rest of the rack free of grease etc.

I would  simply spray your rack with a can of  epoxy black paint or zinc  paint in  black.

I wouldnt really  undercoat if the metal is  clean of  flaky paint.

A  reasonably  easy task if you wish this diy project.

Will a steel pot scrubber damage the rack ? Where can I find a steel pot scrubber 

What do you mean by undercoat ? 

Do you mean apply a primer or do a second coating 

Screenshot_20240205_153115.jpg

 is this the type of product you are talking about. This is the product that was recommended to me ..

Hello @alyciamacqueen1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your dish drying rack.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. The steel pot scrubber being referred to I believe is the Sabco Professional 70g Stainless Steel Premium Scourer or similar. I agree with the recommendation and that is to wash the dish rack with soap and hot water so that it will be free of grease.

The paint you referred is called the Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint Satin Black. It can be used as is but would be better if you used a primer such as Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey. Please make sure that the dish drying rack is totally dry before you apply paint.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask when 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects