Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove the mosses on silicon edges? they are around bathroom vanity.

Kwong_Family
Finding My Feet

How to remove the mosses on silicon edges? they are around bathroom vanity.

Hi all, I'm Helen.  Black dots drive me crazy.  could you please advise how to remove the mosses on silicon edges? they are around bathroom vanity, kitchen basins.  thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove the mosses on silicon edges? they are around bathroom vanity.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Helen (@Kwong_Family). It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing mould from silicone. 

What have you tried on the black dots already to remove them? The reason for asking is if you have already tried several conventional cleaning methods, then the marks might be stains in the silicone and you'll struggle to remove them. If the silicone has been stained or the mould is terrible, it might be best to remove the old silicone and replace it with new. There are special formulations on the market now that have mould inhibiting properties like this Selleys 290ml No Mould Resistant Silicone Sealant - White. You'll need a bladed knife or silicone remover to get rid of the old stuff and a caulking gun to apply the new silicone. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to apply bathroom sealant

You might like to read through this Best Advice article on What is the best way to clean a shower?. Also, check out these previous discussions on the topic:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to remove the mosses on silicon edges? they are around bathroom vanity.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Yes, you are right.  I have tried many moss removal products in the market but no successful.  your suggestion does make sense and is what i'm thinking of.  Thanks for sending me some hands on link.  I'll have a look later and hopeful theory works in practical 😆

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Have a good day.

Cheers,

Helen

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects