Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove tiles on plasterboard on cement wall around a powerpoint?

LucyM
Just Starting Out

How to remove tiles on plasterboard on cement wall around a powerpoint?

Hi, 

I'm after some help with removing these tiles safely and efficiently... 

These splashback tiles are stuck on plasterboard, which is stuck on cement. We had a tradie remove the bottom layer of tiles (floor relevelling, long story). We want to retile, but how to remove the rest of this board safely? Do I need an electrician?This is upside downThis is upside down

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to remove tiles on plasterboard on cement wall around a powerpoint?

Good Afternoon @LucyM 

Welcome to The BunningsCommunity website :smile: Hopefully one of us can help you out. 

Easy answer is yes you will need an electrician to remove and terminatate the wires safely so you can remove the rest of the tiles. They also may be able to suggest either new locations for the power point in your build or other perspectives for when you redo the wall. But temporay termination is probarly the wisest. 

I have found up to three layers of tiles underneath my powerpoints and not all powerpoints are terminated as they should be (exposed wire at the back) So it can become a problem.

Are there other powerpoints you need removing also? and are you installing more then the one back in?

Ive always ended up having to remove the plasterboard as the tiles are stuck solidly to it 😕

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove tiles on plasterboard on cement wall around a powerpoint?

Hi @LucyM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your power point.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. In the interest of health and safety, I suggest engaging the services of a registered electrician to temporarily disable your power point. You'll then be able to carry out all your renovation safe in the knowledge that the power point has been turned off. 

It looks like you're in the middle of a renovation. What tiles will you be putting on? Is it just a small revamp or is it a large project? Please don't forget to post an update, I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you're working on.

Please remember to book your electrician for the re-installation of the power point.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects