Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint high gloss cabinet?

ongbianca88
Getting Established

How to repaint high gloss cabinet?

Hello! I am thinking of replacing my kitchen cabinets’ handles to just a more minimal and streamlined handles (i have attached photos of my current kitchen and a photo of the handle im after). My question is, how do i cover the holes of where the handles were screwed? It is a white high gloss finish formica. 

ta 

ABA40D2B-CB90-4A78-B763-A61B375A271C.jpeg

4A12D27E-F0E6-4B4F-9878-DC7C9F741480.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repaint high gloss cabinet

Hi @ongbianca88,

Typically cabinetry comes in a hi-gloss white finish or sometimes a Satin. Paint options include products like Dulux Renovation Gloss White and Satin.

Is your cabinetry new, or is this an older picture? You should be aware that filling all those holes in new cabinetry could result in a subpar finish. You're likely not going to be able to fill the holes and touch up just the holes; you'd need to re-paint the entire fronts of the doors. Painted cabinets are never quite as high a quality finish as directly from the manufacturer. If this were older cabinetry, I'd have no concerns with you painting it as the results would warrant the effort.

To cover your current holes, you need to fill them and then sand the filler back to be perfectly smooth. You'd then undercoat the filled areas and coat the door front with cabinetry paint.

I know you're set on more streamlined handles, but there are other options to consider. Your current handles are a little outdated, and trends have moved on. Have you considered swapping them for something in black or brass? If you can find an alternative with the exact sized hole placement, you could improve the look of the handles in a couple of hours. With more on-trend handles, matching black or brass tapware and a new stone-look benchtop, you'd have a really snazzy-looking kitchen.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects