Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace and old electric stove top with a new induction?

VC
Just Starting Out

How to replace and old electric stove top with a new induction?

Hi comunity,

Looking for advice on how to replace and old electric stove top with a new induction without changing the benchtop.

Haven't yet picked a new model but is this achievable? 

Thank you

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to replace and old electric stove top with a new induction?

Hi @VC,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It is awesome you have joined and thank you for asking about replacing your stove top. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist but I'll also ask our knowledgeable renovation Workshop members @Renowayoflife@Carmel1955, and @redbournreno if they have any suggestions. 

It would be great to know what the dimensions of your current stove top are. If possible, please post a photo so we can also see your current set up with the benchtop you have so we can find the best solution. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @VC 

Induction cooktops are fantastic - so fast and easy to clean. You will be amazed at the improvement over an old electric cooktop.

You didn't mention what type of benchtop you have. If it is laminate then there probably isn't a problem.

Can you look up the model number of your current cooktop? Download the installation instructions to see what dimensions were likely cut during its installation. When looking for a new cooker ensure the cut out recommendation is equal or great than your existing one. And check you have enough clearance around the edges for the benchtop to stay intact.

Be aware that induction uses a lot more power, so it's wise to consult an electrician to ensure you have enough amps in your cooker circuit to support the new one. You may need a new circuit. If it is a hard-wired version then you need an electrician anyway.

Good luck!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @VC 

It's great that you've received spot on advice from @redbournreno. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend choosing a unit that is close to the size of your current cooktop. This means that you won't have to make such a large cutting adjustment to your benchtop.

Generally speaking, the inside housing of the cooktop is usually about 10mmm smaller all around. For example, if your cooktop is 580mm (w) x 510mm (l) the benchtop cutout is probably around 560mm (w) x 490mm (l). It's important that you have this information before purchasing the unit, this will help you in finding out if you need to make adjustments to your benchtop.

Once you've chosen the Induction unit you want to put in, have a discussion with your electrician and find out if you need a new line for your induction cooktop. Having the technical details of the cook top will help the electrician decide if you need a new line or not.

I've drawn up a sample image to give you an idea of what to look out for in regards to the benchtop cut out size.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles, and a dust mask when working on your benchtop adjustments.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

VC
Just Starting Out

Thank you @EricL and @redbournreno 

Thank you for the extremely helpful information. Realised I have asked these questions a bit too early, just getting way too excited to all the projects! 

We have just purchased the house once we get the keys will check the exact measurements and take photos. Will be in touch again at that stage.

Thanks

VC

Catnipmanor1234
Cultivating a Following

Hi to 'Just starting out'....get prepared for an avalanche of help. When my stove top (gas) kicked the bucket about 10 years ago, I simply went to Appliances Online - with dimensions etc.. They were very efficient and I had no trouble. Now about 6 months ago, the oven decided to stop working (in fact it shorted out the air conditioner in the middle of summer? -  not happy 'Jan' -  obviously it was an electric oven). So again I got onto Appliances OnLine - very quick replacement and removal of the whole stove (top and oven). They do charge to have gas, or electric appliances like ovens etc., installed. I decided that, as my stove top was getting on in years it was easiest to replace the whole appliance. I'm not spruiking this company, but in my opinion they were very helpful. Gabrielle.🦄

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @VC and please reach out if you need further assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects