Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace kitchen cabinet kickboard?

ArashM
Growing in Experience

How to replace kitchen cabinet kickboard?

Hi All,

Just wondering if you could provide me with some advice as to how I might go about changing my kitchen cabinet kickboards. 

They've been water damaged and wood pieces are peeling off.

The whole kickboard is one piece plywood meaning that there's no top layer being glued to bottom layer so I can just rip off the top layer and glue a new one on to the bottom layer.

Also, the kickboard is not screwed to the bottom of cabinets making me think that they're bearing the load of the entire cabinets as opposed to cabinets being wall hung and kickboard being there just as a feature.

Should I just stick another kickboard right on top of this, though the surface of this one is uneven?

Or do you guys have any ideas how to do this without removing all the cabinets.

Thanks

If you need further info please feel free to ask.

1000004512.jpg

1000004511.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace kitchen cabinet kickboard?

Hi @ArashM,

The easiest solution would be the cover the existing kickboard with a new one. Typically kickboards are not a structural part of the cabinetry, and they are generally the last piece that gets put on to finish the cabinetry. Companies like Kaboodle use kickboard clips on their kickboards so they can easily be clipped into position and replaced if needed. The clips attach to the legs of the cabinet. If your kickboards have been screwed in place or are part of the structure, then I'd advise leaving them in place. You'll never know they are there once you install the new ones over the top.

You can use Liquid Nails to attach the new kickboards, but given the laminate surface is quite difficult for the adhesive to bind to, I'd recommend using a few screws and covering their heads with stick-on screw covers.

I can't see the unevenness of the current kickboards affecting the new ones.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ArashM
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell for your great advice. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No worries @ArashM! Let me know if you get stuck or have further questions; we're here to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects