Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace oven safely in existing cabinetry?

jws10
Just Starting Out

How to replace oven safely in existing cabinetry?

recently bought a house and oven was not working. We took out the oven to see what was going on behind only to realise the line had been terminated. We were not risking reconnecting the oven since it was old and likely there was a reason why the previous owner had it terminated. 

I have got a replacement oven which is a plug in single oven. We have taken off the front board so we can replace it with a new board with the correct sized hole. my question is: 

1. does the cabinet cavity need ventilation for the oven 

2. can the oven sit flush on the bottom shelf? the old oven was sitting on 2 blocks of wood  however since i am putting in a single oven i am making the placement higher and just thinking of making a shelf for it to sit on. can it sit flush or still need to be elevated for any airflow underneath? all the videos i have watched it doesn't look liek that is the case but am worried about how hot it gets in the cabinet cavity and if there is any fire hazard risk.

oven.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace oven safely in existing cabinetry?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jws10. It's great to have you join us. Congratulations on the new house purchase. We're looking forward to reading more about your project and plans.  

Let me tag our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist you. You might also like to share the dimensions of your cabinetry and the proposed oven you are planning to install. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace oven safely in existing cabinetry?

Hello @jws10

Thank you for sharing your question about replacing your oven safely.

My apologies for the late reply. Let me answer your question in sequence. The cabinet cavity does not need ventilation for the oven. Almost all modern ovens are now ventilated from the front of the oven. They are fully insulated and don't need any special cutouts in the cabinetry. The oven needs to sit on the two blocks of wood. This is to ensure that the bottom of the oven is ventilated. Would it be possible for you to post the size of your oven cabinet and the make and model of your oven? This will allow us to give you a more comprehensive recommendation.  

Please keep us updated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects