Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sand plywood to get smooth for walk-in pantry?

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

How to sand plywood to get smooth for walk-in pantry?

Hi,

Im trying to renovate my walk in pantry. I have removed the old shelves that were in here and patched up where they use to be and some holes. The walls are made out of paper thin plywood that when I went to go sand it back the patched bits still looked very bumpy looking sideways. Is there anything i can use to get a smooth finish or would it be better to replace with gyprock? It is very thin that when you go to touch it, it kind of warps inwards. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

20231109_145638.jpg

20231109_145638.jpg

20231109_145524.jpg

20231109_145609.jpg

20231109_145607.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Walk in pantry

Hi @Glorz 

Thanks for sharing your question about your walk-in pantry walls. I suggest removing the plywood and replacing it with standard Gyprock CSR 3600 x 1350mm 10mm 4.86sqm Wall Plasterboard RE - 3600 x 1350 x 10. It's more stable than the thin plywood and you get a much better surface to paint. This will also give you the opportunity to hide that cable in the far-right corner of the wall.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to plasterboard a stud wall

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

Just thought I'd update on how my pantry was going. I finally got there in the end. Still need to do the flooring and organise it a bit better but atleast I

20240212_122219.jpg

20240212_122102.jpg

  

now have a pantry. Thanks for the advice Eric!

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to sand plywood to get smooth for walk-in pantry?

Wow, your pantry looks great @Glorz. You should definitely be proud of your efforts and the terrific way you've maximised storage space. 

Look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glorz 

Thank you so much for sharing that update. Your pantry looks fantastic! I'm really keen to see what kind of flooring you'll be putting in. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects