Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal brick wall in kitchen?

Edgar
Growing in Experience

How to seal brick wall in kitchen?

I am replacing a laminated benchtop with a wooden benchtop that will be appropriately stained and sealed with several coats. Having seen the effects moisture can have on wooden benches, is there a product I can use to seal the exposed brick wall to which the bench will abut? Just to ensure that there is no moisture transfer.

Thank you. 

20240514_153940.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal brick wall in kitchen?

Hello @Edgar 

Thanks for sharing your question about sealing your brick wall. I suggest using Dunlop 4L Damp-Proof Waterproofing. It's an acrylic brush-on membrane, that prevents rising damp, efflorescence and will resist negative hydrostatic pressure. It has excellent adhesion to most substrates including brick, masonry, concrete block, concrete, stone and timber and is simple to apply with a brush or roller.

Another product you can use is the CAgroup 100mm x 10m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape. It can be applied directly to the brick wall and prevent moisture from making contact with your timber benchtop. 

One other method you can try is to apply Selleys 300g Clear Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant onto the edge of the benchtop and spreading it with a Pro Renovator 50mm Plastic Scraper. Once the silicone cures you can then push it towards your brick wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Edgar
Growing in Experience

Re: How to seal brick wall in kitchen?

Thank you very much. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects