Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stabilise kitchen cabinet bin?

MissJess
Just Starting Out

How to stabilise kitchen cabinet bin?

I've converted a kitchen draw and cupboard into a under bin holder. I used brackets I had lying around to connect the draw and the cupboard front, but the cupboard door wobbles alot. I think the brackets I used are too short, but wanted to check if longer brackets or a wood plate would be better to fix this?

17015827107552663844357205688601.jpg

17015827851849018473517567016822.jpg

17015828097871268175286951020213.jpg

  

I've also considered using draw slides for the bottom so stabilise, but really trying to keep with cheap and simple. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to stabilise kitchen cabinet bin?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MissJess. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your D.I.Y. projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members.

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to share his thoughts on how to go about this repair. He will be back on the site later today.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stabilise kitchen cabinet bin?

Hello @MissJess 

Thanks for sharing your question about stabilizing your cabinet bin. Looking at the photo you posted, it appears that the steel brackets are too soft and folding marks have started to appear. If not addressed those brackets will eventually fail. Your suggestion of using a wood plate is the solution I was going to suggest.

I propose using pine timber to go between the two panels, it's important that this panel be screwed very securely to the top and bottom part of the assembly. I suggest a minimum of 6 screws to the top part, two on each side and two in the middle. The same setup must be applied to the bottom part of the assembly. My best suggestion is to make sure that the pine panel that you choose is not too heavy. Otherwise, too much weight on the front part will affect the drawer runners.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects