Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update my caravan?

scurbs
Just Starting Out

How to update my caravan?

My caravan is a gaudy colour and I would like to update it with new cupboard doors and some form of product for the doors to make it look and feel fresh, all the locks on the cupboards are shot. I did sand and paint the doors, but I’m not happy with the result. The paint did not adhere to the shell and is chipping off. Any advice would be appreciated

IMG_0486.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: caravan refurbish

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @scurbs. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about caravan refurbishment.

So our members know what you're working with, is that your caravan or an inspiration picture? If it's yours, it looks fantastic! If not, could you supply some images, including the areas with which you are having issues, like the doors and locks? If you have any specific questions, our members would be delighted to answer them. 

You might like to start by reading through this helpful three-part guide: How to renovate a caravan.

I understand you'd like to replace the cabinet doors. I suspect they'll be somewhat custom-made, and nothing I could suggest off-the-shelf would likely fit. Could you shoot us some measurements of the doors so we can check? Are the doors beyond repair? What led you to be unsatisfied with the painted coating? Perhaps this could be rectified. Did you use a primer before painting?

We have a variety of cabinet latches that you can use on your project. One again, if you can show us the type of lock that is currently in use that would help in identifying suitable replacements.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The paint I used on advice didn’t allow the paint to adhere to the primer. I’m reasonably happy with the doors and my granddaughter had a few suggestions which involve using an adhesive on the areas that look shabby, also the same for the fridge, which was the initial colour of the cupboards, new latches would be good, and if I can cover the kitchen bench top. Along with the splashback I will have no reason to redo the cupboardsIMG_0496.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like some good ideas from your granddaughter @scurbs. If the benchtop and splashback are laminate, they could be painted with our Dulux Renovation range. Here's a helpful guide: How to paint a benchtop with Dulux.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects