Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update our kitchen?

AlyssaReno
Finding My Feet

How to update our kitchen?

Hi there! We have been slowly renovating our 70s home since moving in - mostly painting and new flooring.

I want to tackle the kitchen as it is really not our style. The cabinetry is all in great condition and I don't want to create more waste - but at the same time would like to open up a wall to make it brighter and more modern. Happy to do as much work as I can but I know I needs a tradie to do the wall/move cabinets/electrical/plumbing/bench top install.

The wall I want out is the one with the servery (I will attach pics and plans & inspiration pic) and would like to create a galley style kitchen, with an area for some stools and a wider bench. The inspo picture is the more modern profile I prefer - and thinking I could reface the cabinet doors with thin ply/mdf and paint?? 

Would like white benchtops. Plan to have an all in one oven/cooktop and move the fridge - which would create a huge storage area/pantry and we would not need any further above head cabinets.

Any help is appreciated or ideas to make it as easy as possible - we would really love it to be as small a budget as possible and I do not want to gut it and replace with flat pack as it just seems completely wasteful.

ThiCurrent - the servery is under the overhead cupboardsCurrent - the servery is under the overhead cupboardsThe oven is currently built in - would prefer stand alone and move to other side of sinkThe oven is currently built in - would prefer stand alone and move to other side of sinkWant to remove the servery wall (or at least open up)Want to remove the servery wall (or at least open up)New plans - no wall, stand alone ovenNew plans - no wall, stand alone ovenmodern door profile, happy to paintmodern door profile, happy to paint

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to update our kitchen?

Hello @AlyssaReno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your kitchen renovation.

Modifying your doors is definitely on the possible list. Using MDF is much more adaptive if you're painting the door white. Using plywood on the other hand will leave you with the typical wood surface where the grain will be seen despite painting it. 

My apologies, but I'm just a little lost on the position of your cooktop and fridge. I understand you'll be moving it and your wall with the servery will be taken down, but I can't picture how the old cabinets will be positioned. Will the sink still be in the same position? Where exactly is the fridge positioned? Is it near the sink or is it in a new spot? Would it be possible for you to draw your plan indicating where the large triple window is? This will give me a better idea of where everything will be moving to.

Once I have a better understanding of your layout, I'll be able to offer you suggestions on how to get everything into place.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL  thank you for your help

Apologies for the very basic drawing! The sink will stay where it in and the cook top will be positioned against the same wall. Fridge will go opposite side. I will draw another clearer plan for you. Thanks your advice - much appreciated 

Hi @AlyssaReno,

@EricL will be back after the weekend, and I trust he will be eagerly awaiting your new plan. 

It sounds entirely possible to clad over the front of your current cabinet doors. You might like to consider something like this melamine coated MDF. It will give you a durable front face, and you'd only need to putty and touch up the edges.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project. Make sure you check out our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects for inspiration, and this article on How to plan a kitchen renovation will be helpful.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AlyssaReno 

After having a long ponder about your proposed layout it finally dawned on me that I was looking at your picture upside down! After turning it right side up it all made sense. However, just to be on the safe side please have a look at the sketch below and tell me if everything is in the right place? Can you also please tell me if the breakfast island is parallel to the sink or do you want it facing the dining room?

If you want to see the cabinets in a different layout, please let me know.

Eric

Alyssa Reno Kitchen A1.jpg

Thanks Eric - I think you had it upside down because my terribly drawn plans were upside down! Sorry about that. All looks perfect - the island is parallel to the sink. Thanks!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects