Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use peel and stick tile over protruding feature tile?

Neirbo
Just Starting Out

How to use peel and stick tile over protruding feature tile?

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a quick mini kitchen Reno and would like to use Peel and Stick subway tile sheets over the existing backsplash. There is a single feature tile in the existing backsplash that you can see the outline of when the sticker is applied. What do you recommend to do with this tile- sand it down/remove the single tile and regrout to even/another idea?

Thank you!

20230609_185619.jpg

received_182920534430591.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to use peel and stick tile over protruding feature tile?

Hi @Neirbo,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for asking your tiling question. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will assist as soon as he is available. I'll tag in a couple of our great Workshop members @WoodenGregsWood and @stelz who may be able to give their suggestions on how to tackle the stubborn tile.

We would love to see how your kitchen transforms, please update on how you go with photos. You never know, it may end up in one of our great Top Ideas articles like 7 clever kitchen and laundry splashbacks one day!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Neirbo 

Thanks for sharing your question about the protruding feature tile. I was thinking about the best way to fix this issue without generating so much debris. I recommend breaking and removing the feature tile. The reason I chose this method is that it will not create such a big mess and you can easily fill in the gap created by the tile with either an old flat tile or a piece of flat plywood. What's important is that when you stick the gap filling tile in, it has to be at the same level as the other tiles.

Please remember to give the glue enough time to cure, otherwise the trapped moisture will damage the adhesive of the stick-on tile. Once the glue has fully cured you can paste the stick-on tile back on. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your renovation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
stelz
Making a Splash

Hi @Neirbo,

@EricL  suggestion is exactly what I would have  done.  Good luck.

Looking forward to the finishing product. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects