Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing a benchtop dishwasher

Jen1960
Just Starting Out

Installing a benchtop dishwasher

Hi all, I am wondering if a benchtop dishwasher can be installed into an under-benchtop space that exists for a full dishwasher? I am interested in putting it under the bench on a shelf and attaching straight into the taps underneath, as a standard dishwasher would be, and having a drawer underneath to give me some extra storage. would the dishwasher work ok in this situation? i would imagine it would but just want to be sure before I plan it all.

Would love some advice please!

Jen

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Installing a benchtop dishwasher

Hi @Jen1960,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased you could join the community and hope that you get lots of great advice and inspiration for your projects from our members.

I would imagine this might be a question best directed to the dishwasher manufacturer. But if you could share the make and model number, it might help members find relevant information for you. We also have members with plumbing experience, such as @LePallet, who might be able to provide general advice.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

hello @Jen1960
i have been out of the Plumbing game for a while now but ill be happy to share my advise if it is  usefull or not.

i am just tryng to picture what a benchtop dishwasher is. I dont see why you couldnt place it where the old dishwaher was and by giving you extra storage underneath is actually a really good idea. We all love extra storage. 

would you be able to post a photo of this dishwasher?

Place it in the space, if the door opens fine and the water connections are hooked up properly, the main convern is the water waste dishcharge pipe making sure it is installed to the given instructions 

I hope this has helped 

Here's an example of a benchtop dishwasher @LePallet.

BDW-6-02A-WH-VAR-P01.jpg

But I think @Jen1960 should instead be investigating a dishdrawer dishwasher, which are ideal in small kitchens. 

Dishdrawer.jpg

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Oh yes I see now,  my opinion is I’m not a fan of the benchtop one. It’s small and an eyesore. I would Also recommend the draw dishwasher. 

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Oh sorry I miss read the comments, I don’t see what the problem would be with your idea. If it fits well and the door opens then I would do it if you have purbshed it already. It does seem small though and maybe it would be worth upgrading to the proper draw one.

but at 4 times the price the benchtop model is so much cheaper. I am considering this option

single drawer dishwashers are 3-4 times the price 

mayswa
Finding My Feet

Hi Jen1960

did you go with the benchtop model - I too am looking at that option as the single drawer models are too expensive 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mayswa. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @Jen1960 so they are alerted to your question, and hopefully, they can provide some feedback if they went that route.

It would be best to touch base with the manufacturer of the product you're looking at to ensure there are no issues with this type of setup. The only concern I have is since they've been designed as an open-air product, enclosing them could cause an overheating or moisture issue. Our Everdure 55cm Silver Countertop Dishwasher can be recessed into cabinetry but can not be run with a closed cabinet door. It's advised not to install a cabinet door as future occupiers might not realise that it needs to remain open during the wash cycle, which can lead to mould issues or machine damage.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects