Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is Earthwool ceiling insulation safe to install while not using masks or gloves?

JCJFLINT
Just Starting Out

Is Earthwool ceiling insulation safe to install while not using masks or gloves?

Is Earthwool ceiling insulation safe to install while not using , masks or gloves etc

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is Earthwool ceiling insulation safe to install while not using masks or gloves etc.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JCJFLINT. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Earthwool insulation.

Irritation of the skin, eyes and upper respiratory system can occur if the appropriate personal protective equipment is not worn. Wear long sleeves with the cuffs closed tightly, a dust mask, a hat or helmet, protective gloves, and protective glasses.

Here's a copy of our Earthwool manufacturer's safety data sheet.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JCJFLINT
Just Starting Out

Re: Is Earthwool ceiling insulation safe to install while not using masks or gloves?

In view of all the safety requirements I will not be using the Earthwool insulation.

Some years ago I bought some big green bags of insulation from Bunnings. It was

white, and from memory, had a non toxic/irritant theme. I put that in the ceiling of

our previous house with no health problems*. Also, In the 1970s I used Pink Batts in

another house while not aware of airborne fibres and realised some years later that

the fibres, if breathed in, maybe could cause serious lung problems. Mesothelioma anyone?

* I would consider using that again if I could.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is Earthwool ceiling insulation safe to install while not using masks or gloves?

Hello @JCJFLINT

There are other options when it comes to insulation. You can use Ametalin 1350mm x 22.25m ThermalBreak Roof and Wall Home Insulation or Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board. Unfortunately, any insulation made of fibreglass will require you to wear gloves, long sleeve shirt and a respirator when installing it. However, once it has been installed and covered there'll be no need for the safety equipment. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects