Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it a good idea to paint these ugly tiles and kitchen cabinets?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Is it a good idea to paint these ugly tiles and kitchen cabinets?

Screenshot_20231024-012828_Realestate.jpg

Screenshot_20231024-012845_Realestate.jpg

1. Flooring : Repaint or Vinyl Planks

Is it a good or terrible idea to paint the floor tiles? Or we should use vinyl plank instead?

What product should we buy?

2. Kitchen Cabinets : would u paint these cabinet or use self-adhesive vinyl film

3. Probably the most important question

Any color combination recommended for the floor (kitchen and living are all connected with same floor styles) and the kitchen cabinets ?

maybe using a lighter color for the floor and contrasting it with a darker color for the cabinets?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it a good idea to paint these ugly tiles and kitchen cabinets?

Hi @ivanptr,

I would say that it's undoubtedly a better idea with a more long-lasting result to lay hybrid vinyl flooring. They are far better at resisting wear than a painted coating that can chip and scratch relatively easily. Painting is a good option for an instant refresh, but it lacks the wear resistance and overall great aesthetics of flooring. Here's a step-by-step guide: How to lay vinyl plank flooring. You might also like to have a look at my reply to this discussion: Easier to paint floor tiles or put vinyl down?

Our members have had tremendous success painting their cabinetry, and it's the go-to method of improving the look. Check out our many discussions on refreshing kitchen cabinetry with paint. Here's a handy guide: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets.

Colour-wise, it has a lot to do with your personal preference. I'd start by checking out the available colours of hybrid vinyl flooring and find one that you like. You can then choose your cabinetry colour based on it. Personally, I would go for lighter cabinetry and slightly darker flooring.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects