Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is that a dividing stud wall or load bearing wall?

pnolave
Growing in Experience

Is that a dividing stud wall or load bearing wall?

Good morning all,

We recently moved into this house and are considering renovations.

The kitchen and dining room are in an extension that appears to have been constructed in the 80s.
It is a simple skillion roof with what appears to be a load bearer about a third of the way down from the highest point.

It also has what appears to be simply a room divider/non-load bearing. 

I will be getting a structural engineer to check it all out.

But considering it is the shut-down period for various businesses, I'd like to know others' opinions of load bearers in the photo please.

Many thanks20231227_013741 copy.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Is that a dividing stud wall or load bearing wall?

Hello @pnolave,

Congratulations on your move. I can imagine it must be an exciting time. Looking forward to seeing and assisting you with your renovations. 

Many thanks for your question about your wall. Apologies for the delay in responding. It's been a busy time on the site with many of our experts and members away for their year-end break. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to provide his thoughts as soon as he can. Also tagging our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@Tyro and @DIYGnome in case they have any thoughts.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

@pnolave 

Hi @pnolave 

I can see your right re the orange text is a load bearing area,

How much support the  yellow wall contributes to the orange pillars  over all strenght  ummm  you might need an engineer to  advise you on this one.

Also look into the roof see how the  rafters are running and  is  your  roof tiled  vs tin as  tiles weight tonnes.

You maybe able to put a steel pillar there  at the orage instead of brick and join it to the other steel beam

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @pnolave I must agree with @Jewelleryrescue regarding the yellow identified wall, originally this would have been an external wall (prior to the extension) and external walls are load bearing, your Engineer will advise what suitable upgrade/replacement should be fitted... good luck with your renovations. 

Thank you  @Jewelleryrescue.

Once I have further updates I'll share them.

Cheers

pnolave
Growing in Experience

Thanks @DIYGnome 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pnolave,

I'd concur with our knowledgeable members. At this point, I'd assume that it's all load-bearing. There are ways around this if you would like to remove the brick wall, but your engineer will be the one to advise there.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

@Jewelleryrescue,@DIYGnome , @MitchellMc 

It turns out that the brick wall is brick cladding over a timber stud wall....with some asbestos as expected.
The current long load-bearer (green in picture) is timber.

I should also have explained that the entire room in the photo is the added extension....the white line I drew simply signified that it was the length of the extension, but I didn't clarify that, sorry.

My understanding is that the only original structure in the photo are the walls for the pantry (dark room) in the background, and the wall on the far right.

So the wall on the far right was the original rear external wall of the house. 

The skillion roof on this extension is kliplok (the rest of the house has a tiled hip-roof).

I guess it probably makes it easier to remove the stud wall after possibly strengthening the support post for the load bearer.

20231228_114415.jpg

I've added an additional photo which now shows the full extent of the load-bearer

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No, it doesn't change a lot @pnolave. Unfortunately, we can't make any assumptions on how your home is constructed. It takes a qualified engineer to get up in your roof to check out the structure.  They couldn't even give you a concrete answer from looking at your photos and reading the description.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects