Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen configuration ideas please!

Noni1
Finding My Feet

Kitchen configuration ideas please!

Hi community!

We're currently designing an extension to our house (in Sydney) and are having difficulty finding a great kitchen configuration. We really want a sitting area next to the kitchen so we can have a cuppa and enjoy the backyard view, but that means we have limited options for configuring the kitchen. The only way I've been able to make it work is by putting a corner pantry (ergh!). 

Does anyone have any ideas for how we could make it work without a corner pantry? 

We have 2 adults and 2 kids in the house, and we like entertaining. We don't want a sink or stove in an island, and we don't really want to encroach any more into the dining space (it's already a little tight). 

excuse the rudimentary plans (there a some windows missing haha) but it should give you some idea. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.50.03 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen configuration ideas please!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Noni1. Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to start the discussion.

It's great to have you join us and it's fantastic to hear about your house extension project. I've tried moving a few items around and I keep ending back up at the same situation. To not have a corner pantry you'll lose bench space and have an unusual flow to the kitchen. Had you considered not having a traditional pantry and replacing it with cupboard space both above and below the bench?

Are any of the visible walls not constructed yet, particularly the one that separates the lounge from the kitchen?

I'd be interested to hear what our helpful community members suggestion are for the layout. Let me mention the fantastic @redracer01 to see if he can work any magic on the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

Unfortunately the wall between the kitchen and lounge is an existing load-bearing wall. We're opening it up to have a wider doorway but we're not going to be able to open it up the full width without significant additional cost :unhappy: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noni1,

I was interested to know because if that wall was slightly longer then you could fit the pantry and the fridge onto the wall. Currently, with it being so short there is not enough room to have them both on there and that is forcing you to have the pantry in the corner.

Do you have any plans for the current layout? There might be a different layout that works so well you'd consider not opening that wall up so far.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That is an interesting idea. 

I don't have current plans but that wall basically extends all the way across with a regular doorway right next to the other wall. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Noni1 ,

If I may suggest the following:

- Use a blind corner pantry to get rid of that bulky look of a corner pantry but still maximize on pantry space use. It gives a much more modern look and does not give you uneven angles in the kitchen.

- Use a small book case divider to make the "cuppa" area defined! Because it is your time out spot you get to choose the chairs that go on at the end. You still get at least 7 seats for the long dinner table or you can use a long bench on each side and really have the dinner table packed!

- Using chalk mark out the area of the dinner table and chairs and see if there is enough room to walk around and have the book case at the end with the chairs facing the big backyard sliding doors. You may have to do a DIY on the book case if you can't find any at the stores or gumtree.

- Remember to keep your options open, if the first idea does not work keep trying, this reno only happens once in a great while I suggest getting as many ideas as possible. If you wish to try another idea just drop us a line here on workshop. Goodluck and be safe! This will be a two post series as I've made at least 10 pictures for you.noni1.jpgnoni2.jpgnoni3.jpgnoni4.jpgnoni5.jpgnoni6.jpgnoni7.jpgnoni8.jpg

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Noni1 

Here are the rest of the pictures.

noni9.jpgnoni10.jpgnoni11.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects