Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen island benchtop

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Kitchen island benchtop

I bought 2 Bunnings acacia project panels which I will biscuit joint and use as the top for my island bench. I will probably use Gilly’s food grade wax on it but my question is do I need to seal it with anything first. As I will be sanding it to hide the joint, does it need a coat of varnish or will just the wax be sufficient?

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: kitchen island benchtop

@Ang_flange Gilly's is designed go straight on bare timber. It will disguise sanding marks but not hide them. What ever sanding you do, make sure to finish with at least a 120grit, preferable a 240. I would also do any final sanding by hand and in the direction of the grain.

Last time I used those acacia boards I believe my random Orbital left some swirlies, hand sanding with the grain removed them.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Re: kitchen island benchtop

Awesome, thanks for the advice @MitchellM!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects