Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen makeover... From rip down to amazing

Dee-Zines
Cultivating a Following

Kitchen makeover... From rip down to amazing

IMG-9917.jpgIMG-9912.jpgIMG-4699.jpgIMG-4697.jpegIMG-3438.jpgIMG-2806.jpgIMG-2405.jpgIMG-2327.jpgIMG-2153.jpgIMG-2130.jpgl-MyDesktop-_iOzXLAgO0GF7xJkHjCaDg.jpgIMG-2154.jpgThis kitchen came from a house that should have been demolished. However, I could see the potential given her strong hardwood bones. The first step was removing the non-structural wall joining the laundry, then the flooring ripped up, electricals all removed (by qualified electrician), plaster taken out and the old kitchen removed and all appliances. You can clearly see the state of disrepair! Then with 2 full skip bins of rubbish removed, the slow eight-month process of getting the kitchen reborn began.  First, completely new rewiring, new plaster ceiling and walls. Securing a new support beam in the ceiling for added strength to support where the laundry wall was removed.  New spot lighting, upcycled tiles for the floor, and a new larger window was put into place. I had the custom-made splashback form acrylic and fitted them myself. This was not for the fainthearted! I managed to source a beautiful 2Pac kitchen that was being removed from another house and with the help of a carpenter, remade these to fit along with a beautiful 40mm marine-ply bench top and kicker boards. A professional plumber helped install a new stove, rangehood, sink and tap. After a new cornice and paint job, I was ready to add gorgeous Bunnings wallpaper, plants and accessories.  This has been one of the most challenging transformations I have ever undertaken working before and after work and most weekends for almost a year. Most of gear was easily sourced from Bunnings. It's taken a lot of dedication and persistence to bring this kitchen, once relegated to a demolition, into its purposeful new life.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen makeover... From rip down to amazing

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dee-Zines. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your stunning renovation.

Those results are lovely, and I'm thrilled you've achieved such an amazing finish. You must be delighted to have such a stunning kitchen in your home. Everything about this is gorgeous. The brown cabinetry complements the timber benches perfectly, and the feature wallpaper wall is just fabulous.

Thanks for sharing the steps you took to achieve these results, and I very much look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dee-Zines
Cultivating a Following

Re: Kitchen makeover... From rip down to amazing

Thanks Mitchell, I really appreciate the positive feedback.  

Yes, it was a huge project thats for sure and the kitchen, being the hub of the house, definitely took the most time, effort, energy and money, but im super pleased with the way it worked out, especially as the space was so limited.The whole house was in the same condition.  The add read when I purchased it ,

"Located on a corner allotment of approximately 628sqm lies a single storey residential dwelling which has no value whatsoever and its prime has long past. Ideally it would be demolished and the block would be sub-divide (S.T.C.A.)".

But with funds tight, I had good creative vision and just held on to that, especially  during times when I felt it was just such a huge undertaking and required so much effort and hard work...   But I persisted and most of my fortnightly pay, and got there in the end !!  I live super close to  a Bunnings  store, and with my powerpass card, great flexible opening times, made the hard work that much easier to source materials and equipment.  

I'm really  pleased with the outcome,  and now enjoying cooking with a new oven, hot running water to clean dishes, im very grateful :smile:  Thanks again Mitchell, most appreciated. Dee :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects