Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen refresh using White Knight Renew

NikkiMaree
Building a Reputation

Kitchen refresh using White Knight Renew

F1C08777-9712-41BC-8794-6E48E7D499EB.jpeg

I absolutely hated the timber look laminate and green tiled splash back in our house. 
so using a few cans of the white knight renew, the hardwood utility panels and white subway tiles I now have a bright, fresh new kitchen. 

E033D9F1-FF42-40A2-9DBD-D485C93D9586.jpeg

FE6F6450-71EE-4B28-9DA6-45284467E577.jpeg

LouiseS
Getting Established

Re: Kitchen refresh using White Knight Renew

Hi @EricL - sorry for the belated response but just a question re the paint to use. Will I need to use the White Knight Renew range to get that lovely glossy result or were you saying that normal paint would get the same result? I have the Dulux 1 Step Primer, would that work as a base or is the Renew Primer better suited? It's timber veneer not melamine.

Thanks in advance, Louise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LouiseS,

@EricL will be back on the site later today, and I trust he'll add to my response if need be.

The White Knight Renew and the Dulux renovation range are specifically designed to give you a superior finish on kitchen cabinetry. This includes the stunning glossy finish. So, you might like to stick with those ranges and their specific White Knight 1L Renew Tile And Laminate Primer and Dulux 1L Renovation Range Primer. It's a system that should be used together to guarantee your results. These primers are designed to work specifically with their recommended topcoats, whereas your Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L is a general-purpose primer made for standard paint topcoats. I feel that if you're going to the effort of painting all your cabinetry, you want to do it right the first time. Just make sure to sand the glossy timber coating to a dull flat finish using p400 paper before coating. Use a clean damp cloth to remove any dust.

You could use a high gloss general-purpose enamel paint for your cabinetry, but once again, the technology employed here isn't explicitly designed for the rigours that kitchen cabinetry experiences.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Understood thanks @MitchellMc - last question sorry. I have to paint them while they are hanging, will that effect the self leveling ability of the paint? Are there any tips for how to get the best result would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Louise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LouiseS,

It is advisable to remove the doors as working on a flat surface is always easier. However, the paint will self-level on a vertical plane. To clarify, this doesn't mean you can put on a ton of product, and it will level itself out for you; it is a process where the texture produced from your roller levels itself out to a smooth finish. 

My number one tip, which catches many people out, is that you shouldn't touch your coat at all once it is applied. Please don't go back over an area to try and smooth it out or remove the roller marks. Apply your coats as per the instructions. I see many issues where someone has applied the paint, seen marks, and then tried to go over the area again. The paint starts to cure very quickly, and if you touch an area again, not only will you cause more damage as the paint is now sticky, you'll ruin the gloss coat.

Mitchell

Looks fabulous!!  Did you tile over the top or remove old splash back?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lluly0101

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @NikkiMaree to make them aware of your kind comments and question. It is a bit difficult to tell looking at the photos. Are you currently planning on doing your own kitchen revamp? If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them. 

Eric

@learningDIY 

Hey, we removed it completely first. There wasn’t enough clearance between the cook top and tiles to tile over the top. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects