Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen reno/design help please

Sunshinereno
Getting Established

Kitchen reno/design help please

7FB92D72-A418-4EBA-BC12-3A1A5B3934BC.jpeg

071EB5F3-ED20-4BCB-BC92-F4DFADB28BF4.jpeg

6F9D6D5C-E877-43B5-A415-7747015A729B.jpeg

  

5DD122F7-84E0-4464-8B80-DCC234FC623F.jpeg

48F7A33E-F834-4C40-A5AC-48AE71E3E628.jpeg

Hi,

We’ve just purchased this house and we’re wanting to renovate the kitchen. We’re finding the space doesn’t really work for us at the moment. Thinking we may remove the double oven and put the fridge there, freestanding stove with cooktop next to that with overheads and built in range hood then small bench space to the left of that. 

The dishwasher is an issue because we’re already lacking cupboard space. We thought either open shelving on the wall where the kettle is? I’m worried overheads on that wall may close it in a bit… 

would love some ideas please. We’re wanting at a green kitchen with timber bench tops 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kitchen reno/design help please

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sunshinereno. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about kitchen design.

I've taken some time and put together a rendering of a potential option. Obviously, the layout can be tweaked depending on your thoughts. There's a fair bit of timber, so you might like to do a stone-look waterfall benchtop for the breakfast bar. That would break things up a little and make a nice feature.

Let me know your thoughts, and I can make adjustments if needed.

Mitchell

1.png2.png3.png4.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Sunshinereno 

@MitchellMc  has  done a really nice kitchen rendering there I could  live there,

Mitchell kindly offered to  add design elements you might like.  He my also  like some measurements from  your wall to  pantry door.

Just adding a photo of  out older 22 years now kitchen in green Just to prod you creative minds  as to what you love or hate.

mentally rip out the ovens and  put in a frigde  we  could use  a new range hood later.  Keeping the bulkheads.

We are also considering removing older style oven as they really heavy on power usage.  We now use two of the biggest air fryers for cooking and they do a great job on quarter of the power as a guide.  If I rip old oven out we can setup air fryers and possibly grill there instead freeing up some bench space. 

Kermit the  kitchen in greenKermit the kitchen in green

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Sunshinereno,

If this hasn't already been mentioned, between your stove/cooking appliance, the preparation area and the fridge, there should be a triangle.

No length of that triangle should be more than 4 metres, otherwise you are wasting time and effort moving between these things.

Getting things out of the fridge as you cook and moving to the sink as you clean pans and dishes as they get used.

I hope this helps you planning.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi Mitchell,

Wow! Thank you so much for replying so quickly. It's nice to see what other people come up with for the space. I've had a play around with the kaboodle kitchen planner. I've got dimensions for the fridge I'd like to put in.  The depth of the current oven cupboard and stovetop is only 60cm so we don't have a huge amount of room to play around with or many fridges to choose from. Dimensions for the fridge are below;

Product Height (cm)Product Width (cm)Product Depth (cm) 177.5 x 83.3 x 62.6

Our current fridge doesn't fit in the fridge spot atm hence the empty space, it takes up way too much room. It's 8350mm wide in that gap.

I like the idea of a different coloured bench for the island part. 

Hi Mike,

That is helpful - thank you :smile: 

At present our fridge is off to the left of the kitchen and such a pain to get to when doing meal prep, so that makes sense. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Feel free to post what you've been working on in the Kaboodle planner @Sunshinereno. I'm sure our members would love to see and have some great feedback on your layout.

You might also like to check out this handy guide on How to plan a kitchen renovation and our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects for inspiration.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects