Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen renovation plan

Pratik
Growing in Experience

Kitchen renovation plan

Hi everyone,

I have tried to use the Kaboodle kitchen planner and looking forward to valuable suggestions/feedback from the team for my kitchen renovation plan.

20210421_165711.jpg20210421_165748.jpg20210421_165812.jpgimage 1.JPGimage 2.JPGMeasurements.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Kitchen Renovation Plan

Fantastic to see you making your first post @Pratik. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

@MitchellMc will be happy to offer suggestions when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me tag @redracer01 to see if he can jump in and offer his expert advice here too.

I'm sure that many community members who are renovating their kitchens would love to follow along with your project and find inspiration for their own place, so it would be wonderful if you could share updates along the way.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the community @Pratik. It looks like you have some fantastic plans there, and we'd be happy to assist with suggestions.

I really like the design you have put together there. I believe a galley kitchen can work well and is functional, but I've put another suggestion together for you as well. Personally, I feel although it somewhat closes off the area, a breakfast bar adds a much more homely feel to the kitchen. Despite losing some cupboard space, it should still provide all you need, with adequate storage for large pots in the 900mm corner cupboard.

This is really just a suggestion on an alternative layout for a bit of inspiration. I've included the item list for you to view.

Had you decided on the fridge's location in your design?

I'll be keen to see what @redracer01 can do with this space as well.

Please let us know if you have questions that we can assist with.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kitchen renovation plan

Hello @Pratik 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Below is my proposed lay out for your kitchen.

- Swap the fridge and cook top position to give you more space when your cooking and preparing food. The fridge is now out of line of sight and makes the kitchen look bigger. There will no longer be any crowding during cook time.

- Have a custom cabinet made at the side of the fridge to max out storage.

- Leave the dishwasher in the same position so that you will not have to spend on additional plumbing costs.

- Build a custom shelf / cabinet for the microwave so that it does not take up any bench top space.

- Have some shelves placed next to the window for often used items coffee, sugar etc. the kettle can then be placed at the bottom.

A small breakfast island could be placed in but I noticed from your photo that the dinner table could possibly be right next to the kitchen hence I did not put one in. However if you decide to put one in please tell me and I will modify the sketch. Please note that the kitchen on display has stepped out of the designated measurements by at least 400mm. If you bring this sketch to the in store kitchen expert they will be able to quote you the cabinetry and bench top. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

pratik1.jpgpratik2.jpgpratik3.jpgpratik4.jpgpratik5.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Pratik
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your design. I liked the breakfast bar idea and fridge placement. 

Personally, I was thinking of putting the fridge in the right half of the existing pantry. But the switchover looks great.

I can not place the gas cooktop near the window wooden frame as instructed by the gas fitter last time, it needs some clearance. (can't remember now how much :-)). Thank you for taking the time and designing a different option. Appreciate it.

We have such a small space, to keep the design both aesthetic and functional is a huge task. :smile: 

Pratik
Growing in Experience

Hi Redracer01,

Wonderful design. Thank you so much.

Such a detailed analysis. I think we might go with your design.

Yes as you mentioned we have dining beside the kitchen. Although would have loved to have a breakfast bar as designed by Mitchell.

I do not want to go off topic but laundry renovation is the next plan.  I am attaching the house plan for reference.

We have external access for laundry and I am planning to close the external door and gain access from inside the house(gets cold in winter :-)).

By any means can both kitchen and laundry designs be integrated into each other or should Ikitchen house plan NEW1.jpgkitchen house plan NEW2.jpg keep it separate?

Thank you.

Hello @Pratik 

Give me some time to ponder the proposal and I will get back to you. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hello @Pratik 

After giving it some thought I see no advantage joining the two rooms together. Due to the unusual angle of the room, it negates any advantage that we might get from expanding the room. There is also the position of the window, it is right in the middle of the laundry wall and again will not allow us to put any tall cabinets or wall cabinets that might have given you more storage space. Wit the current kitchen wall lay out, you have a dedicated pantry which we would have a hard time re-locating if we were to take down the wall. It would also put an ungainly bend in the run of your kitchen from a straight galley to an angled run which is not user friendly. Closing the laundry door ( external access ) is a good idea. You can the re-locate the washing machine dryer and laundry tub to that side of the room. You can then turn that wall where the machines use to be in to a linen or storage closet. This will give your laundry a nice new look. If you wish we can do a sketch for your laundry as well but I will need the measurements of the room.

Cheers,

Red

Cheers,

Pratik
Growing in Experience

Hi Red,

Thank you for your detailed insight. For now, I think I would get the kitchen done and then move on to the laundry area. Thank you for your offer for the laundry sketch :-). 

Regards,

Pratik

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for keeping us updated on your project plans @Pratik.

Let me tag @redracer01 so he's alerted to your comment.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects