Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen revamp using upcycled cabinetry

jamskon
Getting Established

Kitchen revamp using upcycled cabinetry

48C81BCF-7579-4221-9EFC-80ABF9040C54.jpeg

At the tail end of renovating the family Queenslander at the moment had a new kitchen installed upstairs but instead of getting rid of the cabinetry I decided to re-purpose it downstairs and turned it into a kitchenette. Did everything myself, dismantled and rebuilt the cabinetry to fit the area downstairs, re-sprayed the cabinet faces with 2K paint, cut and fitted the bench tops, tiled the floor and the splashback, cut out for the sink and installed that as well as the mixer and even mounted the rangehood and framed around the window. I’ve got no qualifications under my belt I just figured it out as I went and I’m pretty pleased with it to be honest. The photos attached are (in order I think) what the area looked like when I was starting to reshape the cabinets, then a photo of the original cabinetry how it looked upstairs prior to dismantling it and bringing it downstairs and then finally the aftermath of my work. 

6BE548C4-B807-4463-952A-1BA2058FD1C7.jpeg

9006E820-715B-4E84-AD41-173DB897AA9A.jpeg

48C81BCF-7579-4221-9EFC-80ABF9040C54.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How I Revamped My Kitchen!

Hi @jamskon,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It is wonderful to have you join and share your revamped kitchen with us. You'll find Workshop is a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. Check out our top 10 most popular kitchen projects, your kitchen may make it in one day.

If this is what your kitchenette looks like, I can only imagine what your upstairs kitchen is like! You have done a great job upcycling your existing cabinetry to create a modern look. I really love your tile choice and how the black accessories really pop against it. Any words of advice for someone looking to do an upcycled kitchen of their own?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jamskon
Getting Established

Hey Katie, thanks for those kind words!

that’s a tricky one for a bit of advice, apart from the money-saving aspect of up cycling and DIYing, it’s really rewarding so I guess for anyone looking to renovate whether it be one room or the whole house, the satisfaction I feel everytime I walk into that kitchen is unparalleled! I’m in the middle of making my furniture now to finish filling out the house and I’ve sort of tinkered with projects for a little over half a decade now but this was by far the biggest. Have fun with it, experiment and I can almost guarantee you’ll love the finished product when you stand back to admire it!

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @jamskon,

Thank you for the advice, having fun should definitely be on the top of everyone's list! We would love to see the furniture pieces you make, please do post them when you're able. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects