Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen shelves

jaga
Having an Impact

Kitchen shelves

Here is a link to a post I made a long time ago (about 4 years) - https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Kitchen/Kitchen-renovation-project/td-p/10654

Also, @StevieB recently asked me for an update..

I refurbished my kitchen, but hit a little snag, when the shelves I had in my imagination, weren't as easy as I had expected...!! I wanted hardwood "floating" shelves, and the weight of the shelves required a really strong fixing into the wall.. This fixing was the part that wasn't really that easy - I imagined cutting a mortise into the back of the shelf, and having a bracket fixed into the stud wall.. I found that drilling/cutting a mortise into the back of the hardwood was sooooooo difficult.. (I had a boilermaker friend make me some particular brackets, but in the end I think I may have unnecessarily complicated the whole thing..

IMG_2073.JPG

Using a plunge router wasn't really an option either, because the brackets needed to penetrate at least 150-200mm into the timber.

In the end, I abandoned this method of fixing, and decided that 16dia threaded rod, would probably do the same trick.. The photo below shows 300mm lengths of threaded rod inserted into 20dia holes (90mm embedment into the stud frame, and 200mm embedment into the timber shelf). I've use a 20dia diameter hole, and will fill with Chemset so as to allow some tolerance and  enable me to get the levels right during installation.. You can see some temporary timber props in the photo below, and these will be removed once the Chemset goes off.

IMG_2192.JPGIMG_2191.JPGIMG_2189.JPG

So now, I'm looking for some advice from other Workshop community members, as to which is the best way to finish the timber shelves.. I didnt' really have any idea there were so many options.. I've watched a heap of youtube videos on how to use all these products (photos below), but I still can't decide.. The timber is called American Oak, and its beautiful, so I don't want to apply a high-gloss that will detract from the natural timber.

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2354.JPGIMG_2353.JPGIMG_2350.JPGIMG_2349.JPGIMG_2345.JPGIMG_2344.JPG

Or there are heaps more..!! Any thoughts from anyone with experience with these?

Thanks

jaga

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen shelves

Many thanks for the update, @jaga, and I love the look of these shelves you are working on.

You might like to try some Bondall 1L Monocel Satin Waterbased Clear Varnish on a spare piece of timber to see how you like the look of it. It's a satin finish and gives the timber a lustre without detracting from the natural beauty. In fact, it's reasonably difficult to tell that anything has been applied at all. Check out @JoeAzza's Overhead laundry cupboards project to see it in action.

I often advised customers to purchase a few different types in situations like these and use a tiny amount to test each. Alternatively, if you are able to make it into a store with a scrap piece of timber, a helpful team member should be able to try some different products on it for you. I know I was always interested in trying out the different products and would test them for our customers.

I'll be keen to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jaga

I did a similar shelf mount also, however I didn't use Chemset, I just drilled and tapped the timber studs to take the threaded rod.

My shelves are set low, so I made mine with a block of timber under the shelves that were routered out to fit over the 5/8 inch threaded rod. 

JoeAzza_0-1629776439985.png

JoeAzza_1-1629776488799.png

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Fantastic to see your update @jaga

Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to following along with this project.

Stevie

jaga
Having an Impact

Hi @JoeAzza 

The finish on your shelves is really nice - Is that also the same Bondall Varnish, from your other post?

I wasn't confident on getting the threaded rod level, which I needed it to be perfect, as each shelf is meeting at 90degrees in the internal corner (and aligned with a biscuit joint.), which is why I've gone for the Chemset option.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi .@jaga.

yes it’s the Monocel, satin water based varnish, really easy to apply, water wash up to.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jaga,

I've just seen @JoeAzza's response about the product being the water-based version, not the polyurethane version I previously mentioned it was. I'll update my previous comment as well with the correct information. I just didn't want you to pick up the wrong product in case it looks different on your timber.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects