Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen shelving facing and capping options

lalau
Just Starting Out

Kitchen shelving facing and capping options

My kitchen shelving is painted chipboard and is quite old, though I have had new melamine doors fitted recently. Due to them being structurally incorporated and firmly fixed to the kitchen cupboard units, replacing the shelves is not a viable option but refreshing them is desirable. I could consider applying contact, but would prefer something that will give a smoother appearance as the chipboard is quite bumpy. Can melamine sheeting be purchased without any board backing and if so could it be glued or attached successfully to my chipboard? If not, would 3 mm melamine be suitable to go on top of chipboard? In each case, what sort of capping or edging would you recommend and how would you fix the melamine to the existing shelving? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen shelving facing and capping options

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lalau. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring laminate shelving.

We have 3mm whitecoat MDF available in-store. You can adhere this to the surface of the shelves with contact adhesive and apply melamine edging to the front of the shelf. The edging gets ironed on. If you were after melamine sheeting, then one of our supplier's Australian Panels has it available. If you speak with a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders counter, they should be able to order it for you.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects