Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen study nook

Nicolalane
Finding My Feet

Kitchen study nook

I wanted to create a small study area for my ten year old to do his homework and where I could work during the day also. When the social restrictions came in and my son had to start remote learning, it brought the project forward. I had bought a secondhand buffet to go next to the floating desk nook and I planned on replacing the top work surface with the same dressed timber I was using for the desk. Unfortunately, I was unable to remove the existing top and so just laid a piece of dressed timber on the top, you really can’t tell. I had done woodwork as one of my  options in school back in the 90’s, and I’ve always had a love of DIY and up cycling, so I knew the basics of fixing battens to the walls to create the floating desk. I now plan on using the same dressed timber, cut down to size to make two long shelves stretching over the study nook and buffet. This will create a country kitchen to display glass jars with spices and pantry goods. I’ll upload updated photos when I have completed those. For now, here’s where I’m up to. 

E47B25A6-B792-4D59-A186-256DF3E8EB17.jpeg1E4674C4-96E4-4963-9266-74C3F308BE5E.jpeg0586248A-C412-4B8B-8BFF-41196A055C40.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Kitchen Study Nook

Well done @Nicolalane. I'm sure this is a common need at the moment. Many thanks for sharing - I'm sure your work will inspire others.

By the way, looks like you had a bit of trouble uploading your photos. I see you saved them to your profile but didn't add them to your post so I've popped them up for you. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. I'm more than happy to help. 

Welcome to the community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Kitchen Study Nook

Thank you Jason,

yeah, struggled getting the phots on the post, thanks for sorting it out for me 😬

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects