Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need a new kitchen - weird shape - where to start?

Rosana
Growing in Experience

Need a new kitchen - weird shape - where to start?

kitchen measurements 2020 cropped.jpgHello, we've never renovated before and looking to get advice on where to begin and getting ideas for our weird shaped kitchen.

kitchen flattened.jpgIMG20200403122704.jpghouse plan old-1.jpg

Re: Need a new kitchen - weird shape - where to start?

Hello @Rosana 

My suggestions for this kitchen is that the floor area near the kitchen must be level. Remove the cement hob that is currently holding the old kitchen up. Make sure that the range hood has proper ducting for cooking exhaust. Let your mind wonder freely as far configuration is concerned. There is no fixed rule and you may come up with better idea. I hope the drawings inspire you and give you a better idea of how you want to proceed.

Cheers!

Red

rosana1.jpgrosana2.jpgrosana3.jpgrosana4.jpgrosana6.jpgrosana7.jpgrosana5.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Rosana
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much Redracer01! It is very close to to what I was looking for. It is  as if you read my mind! Thank you for taking the time to do these amazing drawings! Much appreciated. It has helped tremendously. Do you or anyone here know roughly the budget for this kitchen? And who can I ask to take away the old kitchen and clean and paint walls? Do you think it is something people can do it themselves? Hope it is it ok to ask these questions here? 

Hello @Rosana 

I suggest going to your nearest Bunnings and ask for a quote. You can also ask for a demolition and re-installation of the new kitchen. The builders who install your kitchen can also quote you on the building of the artificial wall to line up the kitchen. They will also knock down that cement plinth. If you ask for the full service install, they will quote you the plumbing and electrical services as well.

However if you wish to do the DIY route, simply ask for a cabinet and bench top quote. Removing the old kitchen should be fairly straight forward. Removing the uneven floor requires a sledge hammer. If you have a tow bar on your car you can rent a trailer and bring the old kitchen to the skip yourself. You can also do half and half for services that you may not be too confident in such as electrical and plumbing ( unless your partner is either of those! ). Some frame building, gib sheeting and plastering may be involved. Perhaps doing a little bit of youtube research may give you a better perspective on how you want to proceed. I'm ball parking your kitchen at around $4,000 cabinets and bench tops only. Oh and yes you can ask for a paint quote from the builder as well. Hope these answers help.

Cheers!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Rosana
Growing in Experience

Thank you again Red for the advice! I will definitely speak to someone from Bunnings! And will also look at what others have done here. So far, everyone here are doing great projects! And so many support and helpers! Thank you again! Have a great night.

Cheers

Rosana

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects