Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New subway tile kitchen splashback

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New subway tile kitchen splashback

Visitors to this very popular discussion should also check out @ProjectPete's excellent guide How to tile a splashback.

Please feel free to post if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Super Contributor

I know this post was some years back now @ProjectPete but have been trying to figure out what I am going to do re; a kitchen revamp I am about to start..  God help me...   

I think this looks great BUT did you manage to put in any upper cupboards or shelves?  I do love the tiles look awesome.

I am toying with either 1)  New tiles over the top of old ?   2) Digging out the old tiles and tiling 2)a & installing pressed metal splash backs  3) Painting existing tiles.  Along with other things..

Keep up your great work and keeping us L plate folk posted.  

Old gal

ProjectPete
Trusted Contributor

I just put in a shelf on each side @Old-gal24 which we decorated with some cooking books, candles, plants, etc. I wouldn't recommend tiling over tiles due to lack of adhesion to such a smooth/shiny surface. Plus you'll then have tiling that's about 25-30mm thick protruding from your wall. I haven't painted tiles myself but see a lot of people do - appears to be a simple and cost-effective solution.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @homeprojectco
Improvements

I think using a dark contrasting grout would have made it pop. Gotta love your beer commercial too!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Improvements

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's terrific to have you join us.

Looking forward to reading about all your own projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members. Feel free to post anytime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects