Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

No cold water flow from mixer tap

MelanieH
Finding My Feet

No cold water flow from mixer tap

My kitchen 3 way mixer tap (Aquaport WELS 4 Star 7L/min Chrome Curved 3 Way Filtered Water Mixer) was working fine until I tried to install a replacement dishwasher. 

Now, there is no water flowing from the tap when turned to cold, and no water flowing from the tap when turned to filter. The under sink shut off valve is set to open. 

Water is not getting into the dishwasher - IE error message (water input). There is no kink in the hose etc. The water supply hose does have an anti-flood device. 

Even after disconnecting the dishwasher water supply hose, and confirming shut off valve is set to open, the tap is still not running any cold water at all nor any filtered water. 

Cold water runs from other taps in the house. 

Any ideas? 

Note - In the photo the shut off valve is set to closed. 

15FDD487-9C60-4AC0-B6AA-8318C956D94D.jpeg

B137084C-1C94-4EAB-9977-1A5B4E7D3358.jpeg

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: No cold water flow from mixer tap

Hello @MelanieH quite the conundrum you have, I would initially suggest removing the under sink shut of valve completely (after shutting off the water to the house) and connecting the cold tap (or the dish washer) directly to that water outlet, this will allow you to rule out (or confirm) if the valve is the issue which I suspect it is given taps flow everywhere else in the house just fine. 

It is also possible I suppose that there might be air trapped in the water pipes but imagine you have purged all taps already...

Thank you! I will try this. I think that would mean connecting the dishwasher water supply hose to where the photo is circled in red. Is that right? Complete novice here…

D78FFE5F-2E87-4B0A-A681-AFEAB2F6D08A.jpeg

Hello @MelanieH actually no, what I was proposing was shutting off the water entirely to the house and removing the under sink shut off valve completely, your filter, cold water tap & dishwasher all feed off the same point, this is the component I suspected may be the issue, where it connects to the wall you will be able to attach either the cold tap (or dishwasher) inlet hose. 

Provided you have already opened all the taps in your home simultaneously to purge any air trapped in the pipes, if there is (any air trapped) water will flow erratically at first, you will also hear pipes banging in the roof/wall cavity as they purge, the simplest possibilities are best ruled out early (to save unnecessary work) 🙂

https://www.gallegosplumbing.com/blog/2021/november/how-to-remove-air-from-your-water-pipes/

Untitled.jpg

Thank you!! Your recommendation and info is very helpful!!! I’ll try it!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MelanieH 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about cold water failure in your tap.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @DIYGnome. I agree with their assessment thar it could be the two-way diverter tap that is faulty. Because the cold water has failed on your tap and water filter odds are this tap is causing all the trouble. 

It could be the seating washer is stuck or the axle body threads have worn out or a combination of both. It's difficult to tell not unless you take the tap apart. Even then I don't recommend re-using it as it is in a critical spot of your plumbing, and it has to work flawlessly. I recommend changing the diverter, preferably a tap with a half turn ceramic option.

If you feel that this project is quite involved. I suggest engaging the services of registered plumber.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects