Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint not sticking to cabinet

stelz
Making a Splash

Paint not sticking to cabinet

Hi All,

So I have started painting my kitchen cabinet with the Dulux Renovation range. I scrubed thoroughly, sand and used primer before painting.  I was painting the cabinet near the kitchen rangehood and I have hit a roadblock :(. The paint is not sticking to the section of the  cabinet, I know it due to the residue from the silicone. My friend recommended ESP primer, which I did, but it did not make any difference.  I am guessing the only  options I should do is remove the silicone, sand and then paint.  I was wondering if any one else has other solutions.

Thanking you in advance.  Painting 1.jpg

Painting.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint not sticking to cabinet

Hi @stelz,

I don't think you need to remove the silicone in the corner as you shouldn't be painting over it. I'm surprised that there is silicone residue smeared that far out onto the cabinetry. Usually, silicone is localised to a small cove in between the adjoining surfaces.

I would advise sanding the surface right up to the silicone and removing it from the surface you are painting. I'd leave the silicone in the corner in-place and paint right up to it.

Please let us know how you go once you have sanded that area back and reapplied the paint.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

I guess  I have been busy with the painting that I forget to reply back.

So after multiple sanding and cleaning with no luck. The only option left was to  removed the silicon and sand again, which worked:). I  felt a little defeated at first, but glad it worked out well.

Thank you 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, many thanks for the update @stelz

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects