Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing stainless steel splashback

Borschy
Finding My Feet

Removing stainless steel splashback

Hi I would like to remove my scratched stainless steel splashback however I am unsure how to go about it without removing the plasterboard behind any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

2014-02-24 17.18.18-1.jpg

 this is before the splashback was installed. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing stainless steel splashback

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Borschy. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

As plasterboard is constructed from a paper layer over plaster the likelihood of at least damaging it somewhat and having to do repairs is fairly high. I would presume the stainless has possibly been glued on with construction adhesive. If this is the case I can't think of a particularly easy was to remove it with the plaster intact. Perhaps start by running a sharp utility knife between the splashback and the plaster to see if you are able to cut the glue.

What are you planning on replacing the splashback with and is there an opportunity to just cover over it instead?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Borschy
Finding My Feet

I would prefer tiles. The tenants cleaned it with a cloth that has scratched it to the point they can not be buffed out! The real estate just thought that is how it was cleaned. I was devastated, due to the clause in the lease with specific care instructions!3 metres of stainless steel. I would like tiles instead.3 metres of stainless steel. I would like tiles instead.

Thank you! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Borschy,

It might just be an artifact of the image but there seem to be ripples and distortion in the stainless sheeting. If there are this might indicate that it is not actually adhered all that well to the wall. 

You could be interested in reading through the discussions Removing kitchen splashbackCan I tile over a glass splashback and the article How to tile a splashback by @ProjectPete. Let me also mention @Cado1 to see if they can offer their thoughts after completing their own tile splashback.

Please let us know how you go with removing the stainless steel and we can then suggest how you can repair any damaged caused in the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects