Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing contact for interior chipboard kitchen cupboards

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Replacing contact for interior chipboard kitchen cupboards

IMG20211129145616.jpg

IMG20211129145606.jpg

IMG20211129145556.jpg

As you can see the inside contact paper of my kitchen cupboards had it a long time ago. 

I move in thus coming Friday. I'm getting rid of it obviously. Unfortunately there is chipboard underneath that. 

I'm wondering what to do once this is removed. I don't think new contact would go too well. If I use non slip mats, I will be forever cleaning up chipboard. I'm on a budget too. I do not own this house. It is a rental. 

What do you suggest is a good option. Crockery will be going in this cupboard. 

Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing contact for interior chipboard kitchen cupboards

Hi @Wouldy

Have you thought about leaving it in there and just putting on Vinyl Sheeting over it? I can imagine that removing the old contact paper would be detrimental to the chipboard shelf. Another option is to just leave the old contact and stick on the new contact paper over the old one. I would even put contact on the side walls just to hide the unpainted sides of the interior cabinet.

Would painting it be out of the question? You could use British Paints 2L White Low Sheen Interior Paint And Prime. If the shelves were removable, I would suggest replacing them with melamine sheeting. The only drawback is that you would still have to sort out the bottom of the cabinet. 

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to seeing your cupboard refreshed.

Let me tag our experienced members @craftyhopper and @DanaR for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL 

Thanks for all the advice on this project. We have decided to go with contact paper. Easiest and cheapest option. I will take before and after photos to show the outcome after it is finished. 

Wouldy

IMG20211203110757.jpg

IMG20211203110750.jpg

After photos. It looks great. Happy with my hard work. Lino still to be done. Leaving it till last.Not bad on a budget.

IMG20211201093528.jpg

IMG20211201093525.jpg

Not sure if putting doors on? Maybe further down the track? 

Thanks for the advice. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wouldy

Thank you so much for sharing the updates. That looks fantastic, it certainly gave the inside a much-needed lift. Now you won't have second thoughts about putting your dishes in the cupboard. I agree with your thoughts on the wall cabinets, no need for doors as it looks very tidy. 

We look forward to your next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL 

Thank you. 🙂 Have started the painting on the interior walls and skirting boards.. Can't wait to do updates on that one. Feel very good about putting all my things in the cupboard now. 

Still one lot of cupboards to go in the kitchen but that really is a big job to repair. Going to get it completely replaced as it's below the sink. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects