Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Screws and wall plug size

algenebautista
Growing in Experience

Screws and wall plug size

Hello,

I want to repair my bottom pantry shelf back to its place as it came off the other day. Wanting to know what size screws and wall plugs I should use to fix it against the plaster wall in my pantry. See photos attached.

2nd thing is I want to hang a kmart peg board in our room but didn't come with screws to hang it on. Same question what size screws and wall plugs I should use to fix it strongly in my plaster wall if studs not there?

Please help thanks heaps.

Algene

20200714_174936.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screws and wall plug size

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @algenebautista. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

For the pantry shelf, I would advise you to use Ramset Wallmate Twist-N-Lock 4 Pack fittings. You'll need to predrill each support with two holes to accept the screws. Insert the screws into the support piece and match it up into the position it was in prior to falling off. Press the screws through the supports holes so they make a small indentation on the wall and this will show you where you need to install the white plastic fitting. The white plastic part simply screws into the wall with a screwdriver. Once the white fittings are installed in the gyprock wall then the support and screws can be fixed into place. Each of these Wallmate fittings can hold up to 20kg so they will be more than sufficient for the shelf.

You might like to take one of the supports with you just to see the length of screws in the Wallmate pack. Because you are going through a reasonably thick piece of timber it could be worth using slightly longer screws like the Zenith 8g x 50mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws 50 Pack instead of the ones supplied in the Wallmate pack.

For the Kmart pegboard, I would either advise the Wallmate fittings again, a Ramset Gold Spring Toggle With Cup Hook 2 Pack if the board has a string to hang with, or if you want to secure it really well switch out to Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor 10 Pack which are a metal version of the Wallmate fitting.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot mate that was really helpful. With the Kmart peg board it didn't come with a string at the back. Just 2 metal holes at the top where the screws can slide in.

Hi @algenebautista,

The Wallmate fixings would be perfect for the pegboard if it already has screw mounts on the back. Simply take a measurement of the distance between middles of the two screw mount holes and transfer that onto your wall. Install the two white Wallmate plugs into the walls at those locations. Insert the screws into the Wallmate plugs but leave them slightly proud of the surface instead of screwing them right down. You can then slide the pegboard mounting holes over and onto the exposed screw heads.

Please let me know how you go. It would also be of great benefit to our other members if you'd post some images once you're done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects