Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Second coat of Dulux Renovator top coat on my benchtop is streaky

AmandaC1
Just Starting Out

Second coat of Dulux Renovator top coat on my benchtop is streaky

The second coat of the dulux renovator top coat (domino) has dried really streaky. Im thinking I didn’t load the roller enough. Will a third coat fix this?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Second coat of Dulux Renovator top coat on my benchtop is streaky

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AmandaC1. We're so pleased you could join us. 

I wonder if you could please share some photos so our members can see what you are seeing? It might really help ensure you get the best advice on next steps.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ive just done the second coat of dulux renovator top coat on my bench tops and its really str...

Hello @AmandaC1

Thank you for sharing your benchtop painting project. In order for us to give you a better diagnosis of what happened, we'll need to see pictures of your benchtop and the roller. There are three common types of streaking. First, the roller brush has been overloaded with paint, if the brush was not properly cleaned and left loaded overnight paint will still be in the roller and loading it again will cause streaking. 

The second is improper loading of the roller. Too much paint has been loaded on the sides of the roller creating a fencing streak and a shallow centre. The third type is paint between the roller and the steel axle. This causes the roller to get stuck as you roll it and causes intermittent streaks on your paint surface.

Once we see the photos of your benchtop and roller we'll be able to make recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects