Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for renovating kitchen floor tiles?

gniyaz
Growing in Experience

Suggestions for renovating kitchen floor tiles?

Hi,

I am planning to renovate the kitchen tile. Could someone provide me some suggestions. 

some of my suggestions below. 

1. Install laminated flooring to match with existing flooring 

2. Install new tiles 

3. Paint tiles

7BFD8377-DF88-4124-8800-58010F1821DD.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: suggestions for renovating kitchen tiles

Those all sound like options to consider, @gniyaz.

You might like to provide your thoughts of what you would like to achieve with this project as it will help our members provide some assistance. Why are you looking to make the change? Are you interested in updating the styling and would like the room to have a fresh new look?

Personally, I'd recommend that a hybrid vinyl plank or floating floor would be the best option.

If you were going to change the tiles, it would have to make a significant difference to the space to make it worthwhile. If you were to change the tiles, what colour would you select? What impact would it have on the room? What don't you like about the current tiles? You'll need to have a good think about colour and tile style choices.

I wouldn't advise painting the tiles unless you were looking for a budget-friendly solution for a couple of years until installing another floor option. Although it's a cheap and easy way to change the tile's appearance, it has a finite lifespan and shouldn't be considered a permanent option.

You should find this guide useful: How to choose the right type of flooring.

Have you seen any tile or flooring options that you like the look of? Perhaps you could show them to us, and our members will be able to provide their feedback.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gniyaz
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell. The kitchen area looks odd when compared with other areas. Not sure why this was left while installing laminated floorboards.

I would like to have have consistency across rooms. Will laminated good suit for kitchen area? If hybrid, will it match with existing ones?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you want an exact match on the existing flooring, you'll need to verify what that product is. There are many types and timber choices, so we'll need to try to narrow it down. If we are lucky, they might have used something from Bunnings that we can match.

Could you post an image of the timber floorboards for us? Once I have an idea of their appearance, I'll check through our range for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I would install matching laminate flooring if you can find a match.

I lived in a new built rented house last year with open plan lounge / dining / kitchen that used the same laminate floor all the way through and it looked fantastic.  Far nicer than having tiles in the kitchen area.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects