Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Toddler activity centre using recycled parts

DI_Steve
Finding My Feet

Toddler activity centre using recycled parts

Activity Boards, Pegboard, and Whiteboard InstalledActivity Boards, Pegboard, and Whiteboard Installed

We came to Melbourne to visit our daughter and her husband and our new grandson.  While visiting, my daughter asked if there was anything we could build on the back of the sink area in the kitchen as an Activity Station for our grandson.  I thought about it for a bit and with my daughter's permission decided to build an Activity Exploration center out of recycled parts and some lumber and hardware from my new favorite Australian store--Bunnings!

The back of the sink area started out quite plain as you can see in the photo below.

Back of Kitchen AreaBack of Kitchen Area

One of the first purchases we had to make at Bunnings was some basic tools which my kids did not yet have.  You can see most of what we purchased for tools in the image below.  The toolbox was actually quite a good deal.

Tools my kids didn't haveTools my kids didn't have

Next we collected some stuff to recycle into the Activity Center.  Some of the odds and ends we used can be seen in the image below.

Recycled stuff to use in the Activity BoardsRecycled stuff to use in the Activity Boards

The first step in building the activity center was to run some strips along the back of the cabinets for attaching the activity boards, pegboards, and whiteboards.  You can see the installed strips in the photo below.

4_CabinetStrips_01.jpg

Next I used rivets to attach most of the recycled materials to the activity boards.  The goal with the activity boards was to have as many moving parts as possible. The following two photos show the two boards in the process of assembly.

Assembly of Activity Board #1

Working on Activity Board #1Working on Activity Board #1

Assembly of Activity Board #2

Working on Activity Board #2Working on Activity Board #2

We used objects with zippers, doors, spinning parts, gears, drawers, rotating bits, and many other active parts.  Take a minute to zoom in on the two photos below to see the recycled components in the two activity boards.  Considerable thought was expended to make sure the parts were attached quite firmly because kids can be rough on things.  We also looked carefully at any parts that could be possible choking hazards to eliminate them and anything else that could be dangerous.  You should consult a professional safety expert for child safety in the creation of any project such as this.  The end result was a set of boards with maximum learning potential and minimal safety concerns.

Activity Board #1

Finished Activity Board #1Finished Activity Board #1

Activity Board #2

Finished Activity Board #2Finished Activity Board #2

Once the activity boards were completed, we added a couple of pegboards, a white board (on the left), and a couple of small magnet boards (far left) as seen below.

Activity Boards, Pegboard, and Whiteboard InstalledActivity Boards, Pegboard, and Whiteboard Installed

The true test of a toddler activity center is whether the toddler actually uses it.  In our case, he spend hours entertaining himself with the different activities.  The project has been quite a success with the grandson.

Testing Phase!  Toddler Approved.Testing Phase! Toddler Approved.

And that is how we spent our month of July--trips to Bunnings + recycled parts + time + patience = lots of fun.

Steve from DevelopingInnovators.com

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Toddler activity centre using recycled parts

DI_Steve

Hello... and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community..

Your project is an excellent idea and I'm sure many people will be interested to know more about it..

We wish you every success with your entry..

Prof..

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Toddler activity centre using recycled parts

Thanks for sharing your project with us @DI_Steve. Great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community and join in the discussion. Please feel free to post anytime you have a project to share or need a hand. We're here to help. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects