Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled dining table

Hayley_Mc
Getting Established

Upcycled dining table

FB_IMG_1686648507007.jpgFB_IMG_1686648509835.jpgFB_IMG_1686648513505.jpgFB_IMG_1686648516628.jpgreceived_839595280326987.jpegreceived_1127835437945928.jpegreceived_1193651031487441.jpegMy husband and I inherited this 100+ year old wool classing table from my grandparents farm in Hi Camp, Central Vic (named Mollison Park). 3m x 1.6m this table is huge and perfect for our family gatherings. I had an vision for what I wanted to achieve, so we decided to restored this piece of history. It took period of 12 months or more to create the end product.

Hubby created the centre beam from the outer support beams to create room for the chairs. We rubbed all the old lanolin from the sheep fleece back into the dowel rungs and this helped maintain the natural oils in the wood. We used a matt base oil to keep the Oregon wood colour and had a custom glass table top so we can share many meals around it in the future. We just loved how we were able to keep this part of our family history alive.

Materials

Steel, Paint for the brackets and bolts, Wood Stain/Oil

Tools

Steel wool, paint brushes, Drill, https://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-lxt-18v-brushless-cordless-hammer-drill-skin-only_p6240408  Sander https://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-650w-belt-sander_p6241278, Saw, Clamps, hammer.

Steps

Step 1

Hubby created the centre beam from the outer support beams to create room for the chairs - he welded brackets up to fit the beams and centre under the table.

We rubbed all the old lanolin from the sheep fleece back into the dowel rungs with steel wool and this helped maintain the natural oils in the wood
we used a matt base oil to keep the Oregon wood colour and had a custom glass table top so we can share many meals around it in the future

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled dining table

Hi @Hayley_Mc,

First, I would like to give you a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We are absolutely delighted that you have joined us and we appreciate you sharing your upcycled wool classing table with the community. You have done a fantastic job retaining the heritage and transforming it into a functioning dining table. Great projects like yours make it into our Top Ideas articles like Top 10 most popular indoor furniture projects, you may even find yours in there one day. 

We hope that Workshop will serve as a great platform for you to find inspiration and guidance for all your DIY projects. If you ever require any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Hayley_Mc 

Eye catching is how I would describe it :smile: I cant decide which I like more, that center beam connection point or the colouring with the glass on top!

Any chance of some more photos of the top and underside? Not that we are Bunnings geeks here :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Hayley_Mc 

What a beautifully restored piece of family history. Using the lanolin and natural timber oil I believe is a much better way of preserving the timber. Although the oils will eventually evaporate, it is much easier to reapply as there's no need to sand the table down or remove any polyurethane sealers. 

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Hayley_Mc
Getting Established

Thanks Katie, we really love what we have achieved - I have actually added more pics that I thought iIalready had done. Shows more details and Before and After :smile:

Hayley_Mc
Getting Established

Hi Dave, I have added more before and after pics :smile:

Hayley_Mc
Getting Established

Thanks Eric :smile:

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Hayley_Mc 

Wow and a bunch more wows, Now I understand the "slats" you mentioned. To see what it was and how it looked  is a huge amount of difference. A huge amount of work but definently worth it! 

Thank you again!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects