Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled standalone pantry cabinet

Nightwatchman
Growing in Experience

Upcycled standalone pantry cabinet

This pantry belonged to my grandmother and was purchased in the 1930s.

It had fallen into complete disrepair when I recovered it from my mum's garage.

The renovation really was a 'top to toe' project. A labour of love!

Inside the cabinetInside the cabinet

Front three-quarter angleFront three-quarter angle

Top of cabinetTop of cabinet

Perforated metal at right hand sidePerforated metal at right hand side

Materials

Tools

Nylon hammer

Pliers

Dewalt electric drill 

AEG electric sheet sander

Electric detail sander

Paint brush

Steps

Step 1

The first step was to dust off the cabinet and do a basic clean up to see what could be salvaged and what needed to be replaced.

IMG_0310.jpeg

Step 2

Next came the lengthy process of gently dismantling the unusable parts of the cabinet. The door hardware was badly rusted and the plywood had begun to crack and warp.

IMG_0347.jpeg

Step 3

When removing parts, my goal was to replace them with items that were as near the same, so careful measurements were taken.

IMG_0320.jpeg

Step 4

Ultimately it was necessary to strip the cabinet right back to its frame. At some point my grandfather had re-nailed the perforated metal using bootmaker's tacks, which were incredibly hard to remove!

IMG_0358.jpeg

Step 5

I remade the drawer, with the only original item remaining being the fascia board.

IMG_0355.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

Three coats of hard wax oil were applied and the new handle was fixed into place. 

IMG_0361.jpeg

Step 6

After a massive amount of sanding to bring back the original timber, I cut and attached new 3mm plywood panels to the frame.

IMG_0371.jpeg

Step 7

Three coats of hard wax oil went onto the reassembled cabinet and new hinges and latches were attached.

IMG_0373.jpeg

Step 8

Then it was time to cut and fix the new perforated metal. Note: this had to be completed before the top and bottom internal shelves could be put back into place.

IMG_0399.jpeg

Step 9

The final step was to fix the internal shelves back into place.

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

Step 10

And so it was, we went from this ...

IMG_3480.jpeg

... to this:

IMG_0428.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grandma's renovated standalone pantry cabinet

Hello @Nightwatchman 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your grandmother's pantry restoration project.

This restoration is truly a labour of love. You can clearly see how well used this stand-alone pantry was. If you take the time to look at its original condition, you'll see telltale signs that it was exposed to the rain at one point. Part of its legs was submerged underwater and a repatching and re-painting effort was undertaken sometime in the past.

I'm not surprised that you had a hard time removing the bootmaker's tacks. They were probably uncoated back then and rusted inside the timber bonding with it. The hard wax oil has really given it such a wonderful finish.

Again, thank you for sharing such an inspirational restoration.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled standalone pantry cabinet

Hello @Nightwatchman,

I agree with @EricL - this is truly a terrific project. You've breathed fresh life in your grandmother's pantry cabinet and made it more functional. I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it for many more years to come. 

This project would serve as a great entry in our ongoing search for Australia's best D.I.Y. projects, so I've gone ahead and submitted it for you. 

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're thrilled to have you on board, and we hope you've been finding this site as an excellent source for useful D.I.Y. tips and inspiring concepts.

We look forward to seeing more of your work. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning 😊 What a beautiful piece of family history you have there and to take the time to give it new life again is truly special. I absolutely love it. @Nightwatchman You should be proud of yourself !!!!!!

Thanks a lot for the good vibes, @mich1972 

I love the idea of recycling and upcycling but I feel it's so much more meaningful when it involves family history.

My mum reckons my grandparents would be thrilled with the result.

Really appreciate your comments!

Thanks for the welcome and the awesome comments, @Akanksha !

I'm really pleased to be here and appreciate the supportive feedback.

Cheers!

Nightwatchman
Growing in Experience

Re: Grandma's renovated standalone pantry cabinet

Hi @EricL, thanks for taking the time to reply and for the thoughtful comments.

Yes, I think you're right about the rain damage. My grandparents lived on a farm in eastern Victoria and I could imagine this piece possibly being located on a patio or in a lean-to where it may have been exposed to the weather. As I was doing the project, I was intrigued by the black stain or paint on the bottom of the legs and wondered if it was a bit like the bitumen paint that is used these days on fence posts to repel moisture.

Yes, I agree with your comments about the hard wax oil. The cabinet had been coated in a brown stain and I was thrilled that it sanded away and revealed the lovely timber beneath. The oil did a great job of bringing out the rich tones of the timber.

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects